Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
sergiovan

compatible cd/dvd optical drives for the y550p?

The optical drive (a Sony Optiarc AD-7580S) on my Y550P got busted yesterday. Instead of replacing it with the same brand/model, I'd like to see if I could get something else.

So, how can I figure out if an optical drive is compatible with the Y550P? Is there a list somewhere? I'd really love to know so that I don't end up ordering something only to find that it doesn't actually fit in the optical drive slot of the Y550P.

Thanks!

Punch Card
nazcalito

Re: compatible cd/dvd optical drives for the y550p?

Optical drives are typically all the same size.  The trick is in switching the plastic face plate from the old drive so that it closes properly.

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: compatible cd/dvd optical drives for the y550p?

nazcalito wrote:

Optical drives are typically all the same size.  The trick is in switching the plastic face plate from the old drive so that it closes properly.

There are two thicknesses of drives - 12mm and 9.5mm.  I don't know what the Y550P takes, but please make sure you purchase the correct size unit.  My R40 used the thicker drive, all my other machines took the slim unit, which is much harder to find in my experience.

I've swapped face plates and modified face plates with a dremel when swapping wasn't possible due to mounting differences.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество