Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
ibootz

ideapad y460 start up problem

i am the unfortunate owner of a broken y460 that i purchased one year ago. Over the past month i had noticed my laptop getting extremely hot when running the most basic applications and as of 3 hours ago when i went to turn on my computer it did not  get past the black screen with the blinking cursor. it was getting so hot that i decided to purchase an extra lap fan.i am at a loss i really took care of this computer making sure to never run overbearing programs even though it has a i5 and the better graphics card that lenovo offered one year ago. i was curious if there was anything i can do. i was hoping to get more the one solid year operation  on a machine that cost about 1k. apparently i am not covered under any warranty at this time. Does this sound like a hardware problem are there ways to check. As a side-note i tried to use the one button recovery but as the same with the boot up it get stuck at the black screen with the blinking cursor. Thanks for any help.

Community Moderator
yigit

Re: ideapad y460 start up problem

hi ibootz
blinking cursor points that you're having mbr issue. as i remember, there are ways to fix that issue, you can search but before you can try these:

- remove/replace/swap the ram sticks.
- unplug the ac power, remove the battery, press power button for 30-40 seconds, replace the battery and check if it works.
- try to set default settings for bios.

i'll also try to find the threads, if i do, i'll post here.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Serial Port
ibootz

Thanks yigit,

I tried all of those methods after your advising and none of them have seemed to work.  If there is anything else you can think of, please let me know.  Thanks.

Community Moderator
yigit

i just read the thread couple of days ago but now can't find it.
please google this "easybcd fixmbr" or "bootsect fixmbr"

hope this helps.

Serial Port
ibootz

thanks again.

after i googled everything from what i could gather is i need to have a boot disk. i am correct in assuming this ? i do not currently own a bootdisk. Is there another way to recover the computer or do i have to purchase something.

Community Moderator
yigit

have you tried to perform clean perform installation by pressing one key recover button?

Serial Port
ibootz

yeah i tried but it yields the same result as turning the computer just loads a black screen with the blinking cursor. 

Community Moderator
yigit

have you tried safe mode to check if it works?
can you pass lenovo logo at start-up?

Paper Tape
ripplevan

I had the same problem with the Y460 i purchased 13 months ago. It started to have drivers issue on month1. it suddently crashed on me on day on the 13th month. I had blank screen too. Tried one step recovery, work at first then it came back the next day. Restore and recovered a few times until i called the support centre. They asked me to disable the vga driver in safe mode. It worked. I tried to reset it to factory setting as the ATI drivers not loading. It froze when loading the first window. Later i send it to service centre. They told me the mobo cost $500 to replace. **bleep**. I took it back today. The vga now is using windows default...:smileysad:

Serial Port
ibootz

Well i just got back from vacation so i was able to really sit down and try a few more things. First i contacted windows and was able to get a Windows 7 iso to boot it bck up. i was able to my computer up and running again today and i am currently in the process of updating all the drivers i did not realize how basic windows 7 was. Now it seems that my computer is running very hot the fan turns on instantly as soon as i turn on my computer. So the good news is my computer is running and i did not lose my valuable documents the bad news is my computer is running very hot and i fear that it will break again from overheating. thanks for all the help if anyone has any ideas about why my computer is running so hot let me know thanks.