Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
ira
What's DOS?
ira
Accepted Solution

lenovo OneKey Rescue System 6.0

Purchased a new S10 ideapad last week and am getting to know my computer-- so far, been really pleased with my new toy!

Would like to ask for hel though in understanding what the OneKey Rescue System is all about-- the manual talks so little about it and I can't seem to find enough literature as to its function and how to use it.

Looking forward to your replies!

ira

Philippines

Retired Guru
ortegaluis

Re: lenovo OneKey Rescue System 6.0

OneKey is a system set up in your S10's hard drive specifically for recovering your operating system in case of corruption. You're laptop includes a NOVO button, which when the laptop is off it boots into a hidden partition which enables you to recover to the factory form [as when you bought it]. You must not modify partition sizes otherwise you may lose this function. There is a download on Lenovo's website which allows you to install OneKey 6.0 on Windows Vista. This allows you to create a backup for your operating system in it's current state. You can uninstall all the bloat, install additional software [i.e. Microsoft Office, Nero] and then create a backup image which you can use for recovery.

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
ira
What's DOS?
ira

ortegaluis-- thanks!

So, it only recovers the OS NOT my files?

You say, "when the laptop is off it boots into a hidden partition..." Does it mean that it does this automatically? When do I press the special button for it?

Thanks again!

ira

Paper Tape
kerumbo

My concern is: What if my wife (or the cat for that matter) accidentally clicks the Novo button, either while booting up or afterward?

What happens? Does that one click go ahead and restore the C drive to factory condition? (If so, that sounds like a very risky key to have on the laptop!) 

Or, does pressing that key just initiate a WIndows program where you have to click past a few windows (or enter a few DOS commands) to confirm that, yes, you want to wipe out the contents of C:? ?

By the way, in case it makes a difference, I'm asking about how the OneKey rescue works on a new Ideapad S10. 

Thanks for any help with this. I agree with the post that says the booklet does NOT really explain what happens when you click the key.

Retired Guru
ortegaluis

If the button is accidentally pushed when the system is off, it will boot into recovery mode, however it still requires user input to recover the system to factory. It must be very precise accidental movements to accidentally recover the system.

If the button is accidentally pushed when the system is on, it will open the OneKey 6.0 program which you can use to create a backup at its current state or create recovery CD/DVD.

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
Paper Tape
kerumbo

That's great news, and a perfect explanation -- thanks for the helpful answer!
Retired Guru
skripatch

OKR consits of two parts - one could be run from Windows and another runs when you turn the laptop on.

Pressing NOVO while laptop is shut down will cause booting to special non-windows program. This program will provide a menu which will allow to perform backup or restore.

It will not do anything until you press corresponding buttons.

No difference in OKR 6 between S10 and 30-indexed Ideapads  (Y530, Y430, etc).

//help will save the world
Paper Tape
taz5176

hijack this thread abit

did a search that someone mention the hidden partition for the novo or OneKey can be created with a tool which is available in the service center.

was wondering if anyone got hold of this tool anyway?

was thinking of changing my S10 hdd & install the OneKey s/w from the CD only works in Windows.

it does not create hidden partition or prep the hdd for OneKey

Retired Guru
skripatch

Nope. This ool is fo r SC only. It works so that it doesn't only create a partition type 0x12 but also makes it bootabe and copes there an image of restore and pre-installation OS enviroment that allows to work with it.

It's complicated and it is not for end-users.

You may want to read sticky tip  on how to insert your own image inside this partition at the top of Ideapad section.

//help will save the world
ira
What's DOS?
ira

Guys, I'm sorry but I still don't understand what the OneKey is for-- in a short, non-techie way, what is it for and what are the instances that I would need to use it?

hehehe :-) The computer is great but after-sales seem to be a problem. The shop can't tell me what it's for :-(

Hope you guys can help.