Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
Ishbar

Re: poor battery life on U330

Another issue I believe that is causing the poor power management is the OS.

Once Windows 7 is released I guarantee nearly all Laptop owners out there will see at least 30-60mins of improvement on all batteries...provided they are relatively new.

Paper Tape
abe786

Guys, i was thinking of of going for U330 - 22672BU (with c2d 7350 procc@25W TDP) but after reading this thread i'm confused, can someone clarify few things:

1) the ATi card can be fully disabled right? because from few posts it seems like there's problem disabling it and it still consumes power even on integrated graphics..

2) Will i be able to get 3.5-4hr battery life when watching DVD rips(xvid or divx) on this laptop with full charge..

I need to buy one laptop soon...and a quick response will be appreciated :smileyhappy:

Punch Card
kgrunewaldt

I can only speak from my experience but:

1) The ATI card can only be disabled if you are running Vista. The driver will not work in XP or Windows 7

2) My U330 is able to get about 2.5 hours video playback from a DVD rip file. Less than 2 hours using an actual DVD.

Hope that helps. 

Punch Card
Lmac

Dear abe786,

if battery life is of any concern avoid the U330.

1) As far as I know, the ATi card can be disabled only on Windows Vista, but not on other OSs, such as XP, Linux, and probably Windows 7.

2) You'll be luck if you get 3.5-4hr battery life with your U330 sitting idle. Watching DVD rips you'll probably get 2-2.5hrs. That's of course on the first month. After a few months, due to one of the U330's battery issues, the battery will loose rapidly it's capacity and you'll be getting around 2hrs when idle, like the one I have.

Best regards.

Punch Card
Lmac

Hello All,

does anyone know if these issues were definitely forgotten by Lenovo? I found odd that even Mark is not participating on this tread anymore. Not even to explain the hotfix (that didn't fix anything) that Lenovo brought a few weeks ago.

Best!

Punch Card
loll

[ Edited ]

Hi,

First post on this forum so hello to all (disapointed) lenovo owners :manhappy:

I actually use my U330 under seven 64bits with Intel onboard only, like under Vista. The autonomy is good.

My ATI card is disabled (swichable) but i can not use it when i switch on it (it 's bugged... i must reboot after set discrete option under bios).

So how i do ? as i use 64 bits version of seven, i get drivers from Y730 download page.

After Seven installation (can be done with discrete option set to avoid problem), i install the energy management and secondary screen drivers.

after i install the ATI 64bits drivers for Vista, reboot and get still problem (both cards are shown !). The problem is Seven drivers are upper versions and vista drivers don't install correctly. Also Seven update automatically my driver so i must disable autoupdate in windows update !

To use right drivers, install them thru devices management, select gfx entry, menu update driver, manually et select the source from the C:\Drivers\ATI Graphics Driver\Packages\Drivers. Select manually the driver otherwise Seven will keep the last version if already installed. 

Do that for both cards. Reboot

Normally, swichable menu is there and you should run with Intel board only... :smileyhappy:

Good luck.

PS: Lenovo, please update Bios to provide "Onboard GFX only" and "activate VT' options ! 

PS2: sorry for my english

Paper Tape
abe786

ok thanks guys...i'll stay clear ideapad u330 then...guess i'll have to go for macbook pro 13 then..

Fanfold Paper
waterwagen

abe786 wrote:

ok thanks guys...i'll stay clear ideapad u330 then...guess i'll have to go for macbook pro 13 then..

If you're fine with Mac OS then I'd say that's a good move. The only disadvantage to the macbook is the non-user replaceable battery, but it's not like that matters when you can't get another battery for the U330 anyway.

Punch Card
kgrunewaldt

On the Macbook Pro remember that while it does support virtualiztion and a Windows environment (using software or Bootcamp dual-booting) your battery life when running Windows will be about half or even less than you'd get running Snow Leopard. This is because Apple won't issue updated/energy efficient drivers for many of the high power draw system components. (Otherwise, everyone would go buy a Macbook, clear out OS X and install windows only!!)

Paper Tape
abe786

[ Edited ]

yes, the user battery not replaceable is a problem but its battery life is arnd 6 hrs with MacOS and arnd 5 hrs in Vista (as per notebookreview.com review). So i guess, it'll last good 2-3 yrs before it get reduced to 1hr or so, that's when time to change is for me...that's good enough for me..

btw 5hr is good enough battery life dude...u could very well just use windows in it..