Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
U330_Owner

Re: Lenovo U330 Blinking White Bar

Hi, 

I am also suffering the same issues as described above. I don't really have the expertise to try and diagnose why it is going on but the fact that we are all getting the white bar that is about 1.5 inches thick up and down the screen and starting near the o in lenovo seems like to much in common to be coincidental.

I have been a faithful IBM thinkpad and lenovo user for the past 15 years and plan to continue to be as I have been generally satisfied. 

Lenovo please provide us a solution to this problem. 

Punch Card
Lmac

I've been experiencing this issue for a few months and was surprised to see that I wasn't the only one.

It happens mostly when I have one or more windows maximized or when one window touches the upper part of the screen, and that's why I thought it was software related. However, when I attach an external monitor the image is OK. I could have started when my note took a felt from 40 CM to the ground, or maybe it was before that, I don't remember exactly. But after reading this tread I start to think it's is a manufacturing problem

One more time Lenovo do not do anything to address the issues of this notebook. I was one of the first buyers on got a notebook with bent chassis, a poor battery that was dead before one year of use, power managing issues that make both graphic cards run at the same time (what made me to use only the discrete graphic, since the is no way to fix the onboard graphic card on setup), heating problem that shut down the computer even if I'm using it undervolted, and finally the blinking white bar.

What Lenovo did to solve those issues? Nothing!!!

Every other company I bought computers before where more thoughtful of their clients.

Paper Tape
bijunair

[ Edited ]

Am also facing the same issue. Not sure whether Lenovo would be shoing the mind set to help its customers on this. I badlyy regret of purchasing Lenovo U330 . Unfortunately I have not seen any kind of contact given in the lenovo technical support. Mine is only an year old laptop and its exactly the issue posted in this column.A one inch column flicj[kering on the middle of teh screen. What to do . I even took to one of the authorized station and they said , the specific part is not available in the market . Please don't recommend anyone to but U330. Very disappointed with lenovo support.

Mod edit:  Removed a comment that is against Forum rules.

Paper Tape
AwkwardPigeon

Hey all, I just wanted to state that I have finally got this problem fixed after years of tangling with it. I fortunately had a warranty still on my U330 so it didnt cost me anything. The problem lies in the graphics card. Originally Lenovo replaced the LCD but this did not solve the problem so I sent it back for repairs again. Upon replacing the card the problem subsided. So if you want it fixed, demand that they replace the graphics card and if I can help any of you in any way to get it fixed, let me know.

Paper Tape
bijunair

Re: u330 flashing white bar on screen

[ Edited ]

Very cute design but good for nothing and bad customer support . Am also facing the same issue and started unfortunately immediately after the guarantee period . Finally we lost . Nevr ever recommend others to go for Lenovo Product. 

Mod edit:  Removed comment that is against Forum rules.

Punch Card
tonynca

I'm having the same issue here after like 2-3 years of usage. I just bought a Macbook Pro 13" and I'm never looking back. So many problems associated with this laptop is non-existent on the Macbook. I think the only good laptops from Lenovo are the Thinkpad series.

I'm just so glad I'm not using this laptop anymore, it's so packed with disappointment and lack of support that it wasn't worth trying to fix. Just buy a laptop that works, that's the real solution here. Sometimes you just have to throw in the towel and give up on something that is overwhelming to fix. I mean we don't have engineer testing tools and resources to diagnost the root of the problem. However, I do believe this ia a graphics card issue. Maybe overheating. I was thinking about replacing the thermal paste with Artic Silver 5 to see if that makes a difference, but I just don't think it's worth fixing.

Anywho, good luck guys.

Paper Tape
gurbly

Having this issue now in the same exact position as others. Has anyone come up with an actual cause? My warranty expired in November, so if it's not a cheap fix I'm not doing it.  This computer isn't worth the money I've already spent fixing it. I am a faithful IBM/Lenovo purchaser for both business and personal use. Disappointed to say that after all the issues with the U330 and Lenovo's lack of support I'm done with them.

Paper Tape
admlam

[ Edited ]

For what it's worth, I'll chime in on my experience. I had the white bar on my screen starting around last Sept. At first, it seemed to come and go at first then the screen got stuck like this. "Massaging" the bottom bezel to the left of the Lenovo logo seemed to help occassionally but the fix wasn't permenant. Finally having some time today, I decided to pry it bezel apart and take a look inside.

The process of removing the LCD bezel is as simple as sticking your finger nails in between and pulling them apart. It is held together by a bit of adhesive and plastic inserts that articulates with the lid. Be especially careful not to cut yourself during this process as I did in under my fingernail. A tool might be more preferable. Picture of the LCD bezel and lid assembly below. 

http://i.imgur.com/SfBDN.jpg

I looked for the LCD cable and found it at the bottom of the LED LCD. The ribbon cable connects right behind where the Lenovo logo is. See below for picture of ribbon cable. 

http://i.imgur.com/CgCaE.jpg

After removing it and reconnecting it, the white bar symptoms were alleviated. 

Before: http://i.imgur.com/kT1Mr.jpg

After: http://i.imgur.com/i0AgQ.jpg

Hope this helps someone.

Serial Port
o0TMS0o

Hi guys,
I have the exact same issue. It happened a week ago approx and I own the laptop for 3 years.

I'm working in it, and i've experienced this kind of problem many time especially on old Asus laptop when they ALL were very crappy :smileyhappy:

Well just to say that I'm also convinced it's a hardware issue, and 99% sure it depends on the ribbon cable. The problem is to replace it and to find a website where you can buy one. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find one until now.

Anyway, unplugging it and re plugging it is a good idea because the cable might be in good shape but simply not well connected anymore.

For those who are wondering how to disassemble a U330 here are some links :

http://www.batterystyle.com/lenovo-ideapad-u330-screen-p-180408.html

http://forum.notebookreview.com/ideapad-essential/364525-lenovo-ideapad-u330-facts-disassembly-guide...

I will try to unplug and replug the ribbon in the next days and will keep you informed of the results.

What's DOS?
sayenmohanty

I banged my lcd screen on my laptop while closing this last week and fro that day onwards, I have been getting the same vertical flickering lines on my screen.

I just read this post and pressed the bottom part of my screen just below the flicker. Suprisingly the flicker is now gone.

Fingers crossed now and hoping this flicker does not happen again.