Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
michael_d_edwar
Accepted Solution

u350 wireless not working on win7

Hello - I have a brand new U350 that came with Vista. First thing I did was clean install Win7 Home Premium and the network does not work, neither wired nor wireless.

So went to lenovo drivers download and isntalled

the Broadcom Ethernet Driver v12.2.4.2 dated 2009-10-21. This updated the two unknown devices noted in device manager for networks as these two:

- Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet

- Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN

So now the wired network is working but the wireless is still not. I have tried to make sure it is on doing the little slider on/off control and the Fn-F5 thing - but this does not do anything and the wireless light in the activity status lights by the touchpad does not turn on either.

So - I am not sure if the driver is wrong or what. THere are quite a number of Wireless drivers listed on the downlaod page at http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/en/DriversDownloads/drivers_list.aspx?CategoryID=61415.

Does anybody know if I installed the right driver, or if it is indeed one of the other drivers? Or some other problem?

Fanfold Paper
michael_d_edwar

Re: u350 wireless not working on win7

I tried uninstalling the Broadcom wireless and instead installing the Intel PRO/Wireless 5100 AGN LAN Driver and it was successful to install, however still no wireless.

Community Moderator
yigit

[ Edited ]
Fanfold Paper
michael_d_edwar

the driver installed successfull and is a later version than the one on the lenovo downloads site however the results are teh same, that is, the wireless on/off slider and Fn-F5 have no effect and it appears the wireless is turned off.

I am in process of installing rest of lenovo driver software that is listed for win7 onthe lenovo download site, perhaps that will have an effect. I will post back result. I have read other posts about the energy management utility having an effect.

Fanfold Paper
michael_d_edwar

Installing the Lenovo Energy Management utility is required for the Wireless to be turned on. as soon as I installed it the Fn-F5 keypress brought up the user interface to turn the wireless funciton on/off. Evidently the Fn-F5 is enabled by or targeted to that UI.

Anybody reading the post I would not rule out the Intel driver download (as opposed to the older one on the Lenovo driver downloads web site) as required for the solution since I did successfully install it first. The version I installed is 13.0.0.107.

Fanfold Paper
tbolzani

Hello,

I think the correct driver dor the lenovo u350 wifi card is the one by broadcom (acttualy, in my computer the wifi card is a broadccom).

What's DOS?
Andreasen

Also bought a U350 and replaced Vista with Win7

Wireless worked fine right away , but I cannot get Ethernet to work.

I have tried the ethernet driver link

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/en/DriversDownloads/drivers_show_1797.html

I have tried uninstalling the device. None of this works. Its still listed as Ethernet controller with yellow "!" and cannot update the driver :-(

Lenovo Energy Cut is running fine and  my Fn function keys are working fine too ...

Could you please list a dummy proof list of what to do (in order) to get this ethernet to work ? :-/

Community Moderator
yigit

right click my computer > manage > device management > ethernet controller > right click the device ( with the yellow "!" one ) remove > restart your computer. check if device is installed correctly.

if not, try to run the application you downloaded from the web ( 1797 )

if this doesn't work either, try to install vista drivers instead

due to my absence, i may not reply your posts and/or personal messages

http://www.ki-themes.com
What's DOS?
Andreasen

Got it now ! :-)

Had already tried uninstall/remove in device manager. Doing that and then installing from software download didnt fix it. Windows just reinstalled a non-working device after next restart :-/

However ! If I AFTER all that made a forced [update driver] from device manager and then looks for the drivers on my harddisk, Windows finds the drivers (installed by running the 17xx update listed above I asume)!

After that both my net and wireless is running just fine :smileyhappy:

Paper Tape
areb28

hi there, i beleive we have the same problem with ethernet, nice to know that you have already fix yours. I hope you dont mind if you will send me the step by step procedure how to do it. Im not that very good on PC. Thank you so much indeed.