Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Supraman92

y550p : Battery problems from overheat

[ Edited ]

I have a y550p and my laptop would over heat and kill my battery. even though i know it has alot of battery life left, when i remove the AC adaptor the laptop dies within half a second. and when i plug ac adaptor back on, and turn the laptop back on, the battery says 90% available, plugged in and charging. and it stays at 90% doesn't go up or down. this happened with my other laptop battery that i had just bought too.. im tired of buying new batteries, help!

Moderator Note: Edited subject to match content.

Token Ring
BrownEye02

Re: Battery problems from overheat

Just clarafying are you saying overheating your laptop once caused your battery to start failing? Or are you saying your laptop overheats when its on the battery which causes the battery to fail?

If anything take your battery to batteries + to have them check it out. I highly doubt (if this is what your trying to say) overheating your laptop caused your battery to fail.

Paper Tape
Supraman92

"Just clarafying are you saying overheating your laptop once caused your battery to start failing?"

this.

i bought my batteries from 2 different vendors. and both of them failed due to my laptop getting too hot. from what i can see.

my original battery works (3 years old so it's not a good battery) but it still gives me power when i unplug the AC. I also tried reinstalling the bios. which changed the % of my other batteries to 100%, and it also says "plugged in, charging"
Token Ring
BrownEye02

Again overheating your laptop (which is NOT good at all) should not do anything to your batteries. Again take them to batteries + and have them tested. They do it for free and they can tell you right away whats wrong with them. I just helped someone who did this and found out the chip inside the battery was faulty.

Is energy management set to battery health or battery runtime?

I hate to say it but you should probable figure out this overheating issure before anything. Have you dusted out the fans reciently?

Paper Tape
Supraman92

I don't understand how they can be faulty, they worked fine before the laptop started getting hot/overheat. 2 batteries being faulty? that's like killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

about the battery management i'm not sure. but i think it's battery runtime. usually tells me how long the battery lasts until it dies.

uhh well i tried to vacuum the vents from dust, could i remove the back part of the laptop to get the dust out? or would i just have to blow it all out?
Token Ring
BrownEye02

Yeah your vacuum isnt going to cut it. I always use a aircompressor but there is a danger in this. Compressed air has water vapor in it so you will always want to wait like a min before turning the laptop back on. The safest way is to grab one of those compressed air cans from you local office supply store.

Yeah just make sure energy managements set to battery runtime. The other setting will stop your battery at a certen %. Mine will stop at 50% when its enabled.

Im with you on its strange to have two batteries to fail at the same time but I cant think of any reason overheating the laptop will breake a battery. Unless the cpu is directly connected to the cpu and all of the cpu's heat is being transfered to the battery this should never be the cause of this.

Retired Guru
Duck3

Overheating may have damaged the motherboard,
possibly the charging circuit?

Take off the panel on the bottom for cleaning fan/heatsink
area. If you don't want to remove heatsink, blow air IN from
the outside vent. Often there is a virtual "blanket" of dust
between the fan and the heatsink fins.

I have read that you should prevent the fan from
spinning when using compressed air.
Spinning fan creates voltage which may travel back
to motherboard.
Plus, compressed air can cause the fan to spin at
a very high RPM, much higher than normal.
Community Moderator
Zehnsteine

Hi Supraman,

please have a look at this thread, may give you some insight about batteries...

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-and-Z-series/Battery-setting-on-V570/m-p/708409#M52790

Zehn