Support in other languages: 
Community Moderator
yigit

Re: Lenovo y560p dancing pixels again!!!

issue persists on safe mode?

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
XBrav
Topics: 16
Kudos: 78
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 34

Re: Lenovo y560p dancing pixels again!!!

My mistake, sorry, that one doesn't have switchable graphics, sorry >.>

Either way, it means you can use ATI's official drivers to update, correct?

←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Tap that kudos button if I helped ^^
←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Community Moderator
yigit

Re: y560p with RapidDrive BIOS Howto?

currently no bios update for y560p. do you have dancing pixels issue for all operation systems? if so, i suggest you to contact lenovo support line.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 408
Kudos: 1,277
Solutions: 276

sKyZ,

Hmm.  Can you tell us a bit more about the dancing pixels?   Where are they occuring on the screen?   Around window boarders or in background areas?   Are they occurring in the same kind of places under all OS's that you've tried?

What BIOS level is your system at?   Most the dancing pixels discussions in the forum have been related to the base model Y560, not so much the 'p' models which have different video.

In my twitter comments, I suggested BIOS 62, initially thinking you had the base Y560...

The recovery strategy for these systems revolves around the hidden partition and OKR - with the expectation that customers will use the OKR to burn recovery disks before wiping the system.   Clearly we can do a better job of communicating that to avoid situations like yours where you may wind up having to contact support to see if they can send disks to you, or worst case, ship in your system to be reimaged and checked out for the dancing pixel concerns.

Sorry about that...!

Yigit is right that we don't appear have updated BIOS available for download at the moment for the Y560p - will look into this.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Fanfold Paper
sKyZ

The pixels looks like the screen is almost fuzzy. It almost appears that the refresh rate is wrong, but I have it at the default 60Hz which is the default for most systems/monitors. They occur randomly after the machine warms up then go away when it seems to cool down. They are all over the screen, not just the background or boarders. They are really noticable when the screen has a white background with black text on it, such as these forums. They occur on the entire screen no matter which OS I try. I have tried Ubuntu 10.04LTS 64bit, Ubuntu 10.04LTS 32bit, Ubuntu 11.04 64bit, Fedora 14 64bit, and Windows Ultimate 64bit. On the Linux systems I have used the Catalyst drivers which can be found at http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx which match the video card that is found in my system stated on your website at http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.det... which states its a AMD Radeon HD 6570M 1GB. On Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, I install it to the 750GB HDD, then when it loads I install the WiFi driver found at http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/DriversDownloads/drivers_list.aspx?CategoryID=611900 listed for the Windows 7 64 bit machine. After installing the WiFi driver, I let Windows install all of it's updates [Which takes ages!], reboot the system, then continue to make sure all the Windows updates are completed. After five reboots and a pot of coffee, I proceed to install all the drivers on http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/DriversDownloads/drivers_list.aspx?CategoryID=611900 that state they are for Windows 7 64 bit, then I reboot the system in hopes of everything working. Upon reboot, The system states that it's "Starting Windows.." with it's cute little Windows glowing logo, then it bluescreens for a second [not long enough to catch anything on the screen or even take a picture of it with a camera] and proceeds to reboot. I am then presented with a screen that states that the boot failed and to try Windows recovery. I have tried repairing the startup, checking for errors, and also just loading Windows normally --- Nothing. It won't boot. So Windows 7 Ultimate is a no-go. 

Linux works fine, picks up every driver except for the video, which I install manually [no big deal] and seems to load up just fine. When installing linux I have / with an EXT4 file system and /boot with an EXT2 file system on the 32gig SSD [RapidDrive] and I put /home with a EXT4 filesystem, /var with EXT4, and a gig of swap [which isn't really needed due to 8gigs of RAM] on the HDD. System boots up, installs, does it's updates, and I install the Catalyst drivers. Yay! A working OS that boots, shuts down, and seems to function... except for video the dancing pixels that make me feel like I've had a little too much vodka.

Since it's giving me an issue on different operating systems, I'm assuming it's an issue with the BIOS.... Or an issue with the hardware, which I find hard to believe since it's a brand new system and I'm assuming a company as large as Lenovo [IBM] tests out their hardware before shipping it all the way across the world.

jdacosta
Topics: 12
Kudos: 11
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 4

Hook the machine up to an external monitor and see if the issue happens only on the Y560d lcd or follows to the external monitor.

Jeremy DaCosta
Lenovo Corp.
Level 2 Support - Lenovo Systems Experts
Morrisville, NC 27560
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 408
Kudos: 1,277
Solutions: 276

y560p with moving pixel troubleshooting

Jdacosta,

That is a good suggestion - the fact that this symptom seems to come and go whether the system is warm or cold suggests that it is a hardware issue, and noting whether these symptoms show up on the external display could help us decide whether it is the video subsystem or LCD itself .

Thanks for lending a hand on this!

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Fanfold Paper
sKyZ

Re: y560p with moving pixel troubleshooting

Awesome idea! Thanks!

I just reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit on to the 32gig SSD [RapidDrive], then installed the WiFi driver, did Windows updates, installed the rest of the drivers from support.lenovo.com, and everything appears to be working. I'm still monitoring the screen, looking for dancing pixels though. 

Another thing, after installing the drivers, it appears that it joined the 750gig HDD and the 32gig SSD [RapidDrive] that I installed Windows on. Is this how it should be done? Can anyone describe to me exactly how the software works, how it combines the drivers, and what the additional software does? It almost appears that it has joined both drives to just be one drive [C:]. Is this correct? How do I install programs and software to just the SSD [Rapiddrive] for faster loading?

Fanfold Paper
sKyZ

I spoke too soon. I turned on my computer an hour ago, and now the pixels are dancing again. I can really see them on anything that has a grey color. Any update on that BIOS?

Fanfold Paper
sKyZ

Anything on that bios update?