Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
Aokisoo1

y730 warranty flops, Lenovo wants $$ first, any suggestions?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I bought an Ideapad y730 almost a year ago and since the 1st day, it has had a problem in the audio system. I sent it 3 weeks ago to be repaired, still under warranty. I explained clearly what the problem was in a separate sheet. I was told today that they will not fix it until I first pay Lenovo US$182 for a broken lower case. Lenovo says that I broke the lower case and that it is certainly customer-induced damage, and could not have possibly happened while in their hands or even, in transit.

By the way, the laptop is being serviced now in the Philippines, I believed it was being serviced in Texas, where I had been told to mail it. I have already spoken with 4 different customer representatives there: Alex, Phil, John and Mark. However, their supervisor, Mr M, has refused to talk to me on this matter. The case # is WM 141320, in case anyone from Lenovo cares to read about this and is interested in helping a customer.

I am distraught by the whole experience. Lenovo warranty services had earlier tried not to fix this laptop saying that my warranty had already expired and forced me to prove it by sending them copies of my actual receipts. They still insisted once again later. I had to scan and email the receipts once again.

Now, they say they will not fix the broken speaker because they are sure I broke the lower case. "It is simply obvious that we would never accidentally break something and have a customer pay for that.", as I was told.

It is such a pity, I work in research centre, we have 26 Lenovos here and they are all up for renewal in April 2010. As member of the strategic committee I was just asked yesterday to provide an opinion on whether we should stay with Lenovo or move to another hardware supplier. This experience in my personal laptop is sure going to be heard at work. There is no way my institution should face the risks and costs I am suffering already.

Can anyone tell me how to solve this warranty issues in a quick, non-cumbersome way? My likely reaction is to initiate legal action against Lenovo on this but having used so many of their products over 15 years, I thought something not as blunt might be done as a first instance. I just had a higher opinion of them.

Shall this serve a as cautionary tale to others about to send their Ideapads for repair. Good luck. You will need it.

Best,

Pablo Heidrich

Senior researcher, international trade and development

The North-South Institute

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Moderator Note; telephone number edited to protect member's privacy.

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 410
Kudos: 1,311
Solutions: 284

Re: y730 warranty flops, Lenovo wants $$ first, any suggestions?

[ Edited ]

Aokisoo1,

Thanks for sharing your situation and your case number - I'll ensure we look into this and see what can be done to resolve.  

Just as a quick clarification for the benefit of all - your system is in Texas where the repair center is located.

We do make use of diverse support centers, and there is one in the Phillipines as you note.

Update : checking into your repair case, it seems that sometime this afternoon - likely after your posting(?) you reached an agreement with the depot to repair the speaker / sound issues?   Please advise if this is correct.

Thanks!

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Blue Screen Again
Aokisoo1

Hi,

Unfortunately the case is not resolved. Today is March 9 and just talked to Lenovo customer service to find out when I would received back my Y730. The answer was that they were still waiting for me to pay 182.50 first for the broken lower case, which Lenovo considers to be CID (customer induced damage). I had mailed the computer in perfect condition, by the way.

Now the Repair Department excuse has evolved to saying that in order for them to fix the sound system at all, the motherboard needs to be changed and that absolutely requires that the lower case is changed too. So, they will not fix my sound problem in this laptop unless I pay first 182.50.

In other words, what was previously agreed in 5 different conversations between Feb 23 and 25, that they would fix the sound system and leave the lower case as is, but not charge me 182.50 as a condition to do that, is taken off the table again. Never mind that the repairs supervisor at that time had promised to fix that sound system and send the machine back to me.

By the way, I was called by the complaints department on Feb 25 and asked repeatedly that I give up trying to fill any complaint at all, as they wouldnt charge me for that broken lower case. I was told at least 5 times: "so you have no complaint to file, right?"  "so you give up your intention to file any complain against Lenovo on this issue, right?" Frankly, amazing harassment of a customer. Never experienced anything similar in my whole life in 3 continents and 12 countries. And never mind the lower case which I believe was broken by Lenovo and they want me to pay for it...

Result is that I still don't have my laptop repaired after 4 weeks, Lenovo still refuses to fix it unless I pay 182.50 first, have spent over 2 hours on the phone with 7 different people from lenovo who promise things they later go back on, been harassed by someone who would supposedly help me file a complain, and I am exactly where I started this thread.

The Lenovo rep I spoke with today told me he couldn't transfer me to the complaints department, couldn't give me their phone number to call myself, and would have his supervisor look at this issue again...

So, Mark, do you think I feel like buying a Lenovo product again in my life?

What would be your advice?

Many thanks,

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Off on a little bit of a tangent - but have you or Lenovo considered filing a claim against the shipper for the case damage?  It sounds like it happened in transit.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

Punch Card
bb6lude

[ Edited ]

First let me say that i definately feel what your going through. Lenovo customer service reps are horrible, and i experienced the same thing. They try and block you from filing complaints or trying to contact any higher authority! I was amazed at how fast i was turned down when i asked to file a complaint or to talk to someone higher up the chain. They wont give you any information, not a name, number or email address to contact anyone Mark helped me out too but didn't respond to my message asking for contact info for someone higher up the scale. So i did a little internet research and i went and contacted the Chief Operations Officer myself, needless to say he is taking care of my issue right now.

What's DOS?
thesage

Damaged operating system

I purchased a Lenovo ideapad from Lenovo directly with Windows 7 installed. After approx one year I had a problem with the USB port.

I spoke with the technical service group and they had me return the machine to them which was under warranty. They repaired the machine and returned it to me. It worked fine except I was now getting a illegal software message for the operating system (Windows 7).

I called tech support and they requested me to again return the machine to them. I explained that I had a small business and it is very inconvenient for me to be without the machine and based on what I knew all they had to do was send me a code for my software system which would rectify the problem.

First I was asked to contact Microsoft and see if I could get a code mumber from them. I told them I did not think I should be the one to be calling Microsoft as I did not buy anything from them. The operating system (Windows 7) was supplied by Lenovo when I purchased the machine. I was then told that the only other option I had was to send the machine back to re-image the machine. This means I would have to do a backup and restore and all the associated problems as I would be losing all my data.

Normally good customer service would do this in the shop so not to inconvenience the customer, with of course the usual disclaimer that they are not responsible for inaccuracies.

I was now really scared for the data is my business. I asked them why couldn't they just give me the code for the operating system I purchased from them. I was told that they did not sell me an operating system or software they sold me a computer. The operating system and software was free and if I wanted the user codes for it I would have to buy it from Microsoft.

This is a situation which was created by someone not doing their job at Lenovo and I am being saddled with all kinds of difficulties and inconveniences as a result.

This is a summary of three conversations with Lenovo tech support culminating with a supervisor. I am at a loss and now really wish to avoid returning my machine to them. I also recently purchased an extended warranty. :-(

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: Damaged operating system

thesage wrote:

First I was asked to contact Microsoft and see if I could get a code mumber from them. I told them I did not think I should be the one to be calling Microsoft as I did not buy anything from them

Did you try this?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

XBrav
Topics: 16
Kudos: 81
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 35

Re: Damaged operating system

The counterfeit message thing can easily be resolved by running the Windows activation wizard again, and calling it in instead of doing it online. It's a fault with the Windows OEM licensing system.

←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Tap that kudos button if I helped ^^
←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗