How to disable indicator lights through registry tweaks

Helpful?
Click ►
Started ‎08-12-2010 by
Modified ‎08-12-2010 by
(1,497 Views)

How to disable indicator lights through registry tweaks

Question

When I first got my Y550 ideapad, I noticed it contained a lot of preloaded software that I wasn't interested in, so I went ahead and uninstalled a good deal of it. unfortunately, I may have gone a bit overboard, and now I simply cannot get these lights to stop blinking.

293i6A9A5684E684AAB5

It's super annoying in the dark. Any way I can either turn them off or get the software needed to turn them off?

Answer

The wireless indicator light is activated when wireless is activated, press fn + f5 to disable the wireless and the light. 

Disclaimer - Lenovo does not recommend the following proceedure:

If you wanted to disable the light and maintain wireless, this could be accomplished through some tweaks to the windows registry.  

You need to edit the registry - DO NOT change any registry key other than the following ones:

From Start > Type "regedit" on the search and press enter.

From regedit, go to:

Computer > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Class > {4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} > Just click "0015" (do not expand).

On the right side, you will see a key named "LedMode". If you do not see this key here, we might have different configurations, however you can still find it.

Go to: Computer > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Class > {4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and expand it.

On the left, you will see folders like "0000" , "0001" etc. Just click on these folders(without expanding) and look to the right for a key named "DriverDesc". If you see any of them having a value that contains "Intel" and "Wifi", that's your folder. Just go down to see the "LedMode" key.

When you find the "LedMode" key:

Double click it. For the value, you can set it to 0,1 or 2.

0 -> Light off

1 -> Light on when the there is wireless activity

2 -> Light always on

In your case you probably want to set it to 0. Click OK. Disable your wireless adapter and reenable it. Or you can just restart your machine.