Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Why can't I shrink partition C of my Y560p to more than 46GB?

Helpful?
Click ►
Started ‎06-14-2012 by
Modified ‎06-14-2012 by
(1,334 Views)

Why can't I shrink partition C of my Y560p to more than 46GB?

Question

I have an IdeaPad Y560p, I want to shrink partition(C). It is impossible because it allows only about 46GB of HDD to shrink.

I did not see an error message.

Please help me how to shrink the C: partition to my desired capacity as I am hoping to buy a new HDD for it.

Answer

There is a limit to how much you can shrink your C: partition in your Operating System as there are immovable Window system files stored there.

One tip: Try running a defragmentation of your system before attempting to shrink the size of  your partititions.  You can use the Windows Defragmentation Program to do so. A contributor to this article suggests the use of  Puran Defrag as it can defrag your Pagefile.

Another tip contributed by our community: You may also wish to temporarily switch off your Pagefile as you want your data to be stored and continually so in the front of your partitions. A recommended resource is  GParted--Live CD, which our contributor says is 'quite good for the resizing part'. 

Note that if you use a disk image to move your data to the new HDD drive you intend to install and you have a recovery partition, make sure you do read up on how to maintain it (the recovery partition) while resizing your other partition(s) for the new disk when moving the data over.