Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
meqjjr
Accepted Solution

A30 display issue

Hello,

I have an A30 (2652-1AU) that I've had for awhile.  Recently, the display has been showing issues, but only when in the DOS or pre-Windows mode.  There are vertical lines of various colors on the boot splash screen, and instead of text characters for the usual boot/memory test messages there are only flickering unreadable characters.  Once Windows is loaded, the display is just fine.  If I exit to DOS, I get the garbage characters again.  If I connect the A30 to an external monitor, I see the same garbage characters during boot-up.  This is an issue for me since I'd like to upgrade the small HDD and the OS, which is going to require some operations outside of Windows, but I can't read what's displayed on the screen once I get outside of Windows.

I've replaced the inverter, but that did not see to help.  I've also replaced the whole lid/LCD from another similar A30, and even that did not seem to help.  So, I have concluded it's an issue with the graphics chip that is permanently embedded on the motherboard.  And it appears it's time to move on to another Thinkpad.

This being a fountain of Thinkpad knowledge, I was just hoping that someone could confirm that my A30 is pretty much toast.  Or point out something else that I might try.

Thank you.

ajkula66
Kudos: 696
Solutions: 732

Re: A30 display issue

[ Edited ]

Welcome to the forum!

Your A30 has succumbed to VRAM corruption - a failure which is very common on these machines. The only cure is a replecement motherboard.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T410, W510

Backups: T60, T61p, R500F

For sale: T60 (15" SXGA+ IPS), T61p (14" SXGA+ & 15.4" WUXGA),

Rebuilding: A31p, T42p, X24

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
Paper Tape
meqjjr

Re: A30 display issue

Thanks.  That's sorta what I thought.  Time to start looking for a replacement.