Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
meqjjr
Accepted Solution

A30 display issue

Hello,

I have an A30 (2652-1AU) that I've had for awhile.  Recently, the display has been showing issues, but only when in the DOS or pre-Windows mode.  There are vertical lines of various colors on the boot splash screen, and instead of text characters for the usual boot/memory test messages there are only flickering unreadable characters.  Once Windows is loaded, the display is just fine.  If I exit to DOS, I get the garbage characters again.  If I connect the A30 to an external monitor, I see the same garbage characters during boot-up.  This is an issue for me since I'd like to upgrade the small HDD and the OS, which is going to require some operations outside of Windows, but I can't read what's displayed on the screen once I get outside of Windows.

I've replaced the inverter, but that did not see to help.  I've also replaced the whole lid/LCD from another similar A30, and even that did not seem to help.  So, I have concluded it's an issue with the graphics chip that is permanently embedded on the motherboard.  And it appears it's time to move on to another Thinkpad.

This being a fountain of Thinkpad knowledge, I was just hoping that someone could confirm that my A30 is pretty much toast.  Or point out something else that I might try.

Thank you.

ajkula66
Kudos: 757
Solutions: 799

Re: A30 display issue

[ Edited ]

Welcome to the forum!

Your A30 has succumbed to VRAM corruption - a failure which is very common on these machines. The only cure is a replecement motherboard.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T61, X301

Collecting dust: T60, T61p, R500F

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Paper Tape
meqjjr

Re: A30 display issue

Thanks.  That's sorta what I thought.  Time to start looking for a replacement.