Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
sintaloo

CPU Temperature 90 C -- normal ? Please HELP!

Dear all,

Please help me !!
I tried to find a support email address for Thinkpad laptop. But I failed to do it.
I have no idea why the website design is very great so that I can not even find a place to post my question..... But finally, I found here...

My laptop is Thinkpad z60m.
I bought the laptop in US, but I am not in US now.
The weather here is not hot and not cold. around 25 C.
But I found my laptop CPU temperature is 55 C when the CPU is not busy recently.
(The reason why I checked the CPU temperature because the laptop is very hot when I use it)
It will easily reach 92 C when the CPU is 80%+ busy.
Is this normal?
I searched online, some people say the CPU critical temperature is 63 C.
That scared me.

I am afraid my CPU will burn/explode.
In the beginning, I thought my CPU fan might be broken. But I run thinkvantage to check the fan status. The thinkvantage CPU Fan check status is passed. I am not sure if I can trust it.

Can anyone let me know what the highest CPU temperature thinkpad can handle?
Is 92 C too high for my laptop so that it will damage the hardware?
Is 55 C when CPU is not busy acceptable?
What I can do to check if my laptop has problems or not?

Thank you very much for your kind help and answsers.

Thanks.

Blue Screen Again
RealBlackStuff

Re: CPU Temperature 90 C -- normal ? Please HELP!

What is your exact Type/Model number (on the bottom of the laptop on a sticker), how much memory has it got, which Windows version?
Click Ctrl-Alt-Del, then go into Task Manager, click on the Processes tab, then click on the word CPU above that column, to sort it with the highest use first (may need to click it twice).
What programs are using lots of CPU, other than System Idle?
Paper Tape
sintaloo

Thank you very much for your reply.

1, I am not worried about my Operating System. Let me answer your questions.
    I am not using Windows. I am using Linux OpenSuse 10.3 in my laptop.
    The Linux OS is working fine. Everything looks normal to me.
    The CPU is not busy all the time. It's busy when loading some programs. It's reasonable.
    There are 85% free RAM and swap partition is completely free.

Hardware Info:
    Video RAM std/max               128MB
    Description             ATI Mobility RADEON x600
    CPU: model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 2.00GHz
    RAM: 1 GB.

Linux has already been run in this laptop for 2 years. (I bought the laptop 2 years ago. I never use windows on this laptop.) I checked the CPU temperature before. It's about 43 C in average one year ago. Linux OS is running fine. I didn't see any problems on it.

2, I am worried about the hardware now. I would like to know what the critical temperature for the CPU is. Is average 50 C for CPU temperature normal? Will 90 C for CPU temperature break the hardware and make the CPU explode ? What should the max temperature for a CPU be? How can I check if my CPU fan is working fine? I have already done that in Thinkvantage. I didn't see any problems, the test for CPU fan is PASS.

Finally, thank you very much for your reply, concern and help!!!!!!

Blue Screen Again
RealBlackStuff

I have very little knowledge about Linux, but I'm sure you can get a utility to measure/regulate the temperature.
CPUs nowadays have a built-in limit, at which they switch off automativally. This will be around 85o C for your CPU, it should never reach the 90o C.
If it was 45o a year ago, and now it is 50o C, it's time for you to open up the TP and clean the dust off the fan.
Either get a can of compressed air, or use a fine brush. Make sure the dust does not get blown into the insides of your TP.
Paper Tape
sintaloo

Thank you very much for your reply.
I have three questions with your comment.

1, If the CPU has a buildin limit of temperature and it's disabled by default, how can I enable it?
2, After enabling the CPU buildin temperature limit, what will happen when the CPU temperature reaches the limit value? Will the CPU just stop working? If the CPU stops working, maybe I will lose all the current unsaved work......?
3, How to clean my laptop? I am not familiar with hardwares, especially lapotp hardware. I bought it in US. The country I am currently working (not US) doesn't provide any services to the Thinkpad laptop which is bought overseas. Thus I think I have to do it by myself...

I have a last question about max temperature of CPU. I heard from my friend that laptop CPU can work under 120 degree. But you said it should never reach 90. Where can I get the exact value of max CPU temperature?

Thank you very much for your reply again.
Blue Screen Again
RealBlackStuff

I think CPU temperature limits can be set in your BIOS (at least in most desktops, probably the same in laptops).
If available, you can also set another limit, at which you will get a warning that the CPU starts getting hot. It will leave you ample time to save data, close programs and switch the laptop off.

You can install a utility CPUIdle to lower its temperature.
There are various other temperature control programs (both free and paid-for), check Google.

You can download a service manual for your laptop here. It will show you (illustrated) how to take the laptop apart.
Bit Torrent
wjli2

you are getting to 90 C on a moderate day using a Pentium M core... that is sort of temperature i would get on my P4 core laptop on a very hot day.... i think not only is your fan clogging... maybe the thermal paste between your heatsink and the processor core may have been used up..... you may consider getting some good thermal paste and apply over the processor core to ensure best heat transfer property...... i had fried one of my P4 CPU before because i overclocked and didn't apply enough thermal paste.....
What's DOS?
kowach

I have z60m and I have too overheating problems. I took my thinkpad to lenovo service and they just cleand fan and replaced thermal paste and max temperature droped from 90°C to 70°C (which is still too much), and they say that everithing works normal and charged my $40 becuse nothing was "malfunctioning".

Eventually, temperature back to 80 more C. As wjli2 sad, pentium M 2.0GHz is hot core and it has top frequency in its series.

Soulution: use often vacume cleaner to vacume dust from ventilation space and limit frequency to 1.8GHz (drop multiplayer form 15x->14x). You can do that with NHC http://www.pbus-167.com/nhc/nhc.htm
Bit Torrent
wjli2

[ Edited ]
thermal paste is important.... application of which is sometimes a hit and miss affair on large production line.... not enough you are in trouble, have too much you are also in trouble..... both of which would cause the temperature to increase.... but 90 celcius sounds bit too high for a Pentium M.... you would seriously affect the machine's longevity.... you are slowly cooking the CPU... invest in a laptop cooler in the short term... and get it sorted out ASAP...

Message Edited by wjli2 on 03-11-2008 05:17 AM
Retired Moderator
vkyr

[ Edited ]
Computers tend to collect a bunch of dust inside their case over the time and notebooks are no exception here. Related to notebooks the air input fans, which are part of the thermal system, do suck in dust and dirt particles over the time. Especially those notebooks which take the cooling air in from the bottom case of the notebook, tend to collect dust much quicker. The result is, that the fans, CPU and GPU heatpipes etc. do get blocked/plugged and thus there is often no more sufficient air circulation inside the case for cooling the internal notebook parts.

To give you an idea how effected parts will look over the time, I show you some pics from the CPU heatsink of a third party notebook here, BTW, it's no Thinkpad...

...as can be seen here, the input canal of the heatsink is totally blocked with collected dust....

...and there are also burned on leftovers from a CPU thermal pad on the heatsink (on the CPU there are leftovers from the thermal pad too).

So this notebook needed some massiv cleaning and heatsink reworking in order to opperate again under more normal temperature conditions. Before this notebook gots very hot, especially it's CPU/GPU and thus the whole notebook didn't operated well any more. - Above are shown some materials which have been used to clean this notebook and to rework it's CPU heatsink etc. It's also visible what sort of dust ribbon was taken out of the heatsink. The fans etc. do also collect dust and have to be cleaned carefully.

When things have been cleaned up and the heatsink has been carefully sanded, things do look much better now.

Next step is to apply some thermal paste onto the heatsink to fill the fine rills from the sanding and then to place thermal paste for the CPU either on the CPU itself or the heatsink (this depends on where it can be better placed on for the CPU). Since this notebook's heatsink has marked regions for the CPU surface I've choosed the heatsink.

After the whole cleaning process has been performed and the notebook reassembled, the notebook has been setup to run for some hours, so the thermal paste gets warmed up and fits into the fine-grained rills of the heatpipe etc. - The result of this cleaning process was a much cooler operating notebook, which afterwards behaved again perfectly normal with low operation temperatures.

IMPORTANT NOTE: those who have still warranty for their ThinkPads should bring their notebook to the service for such a cleaning procedure. Also unskilled people, when in trouble, should better contact and bring their notebook to the Lenovo service.  - So only skilled and experienced people should perform such tasks themself for their Thinkpads, since notebooks have a bunch of very sensible parts inside, which in turn have to be handled with a lot of care.

Finally:  I'll hope the above will give at least a little idea of what is often the cause of unusual higher notebook CPU/GPU tempratures and what in turn is needed from time to time to fix these issues.

Message Edited by vkyr on 03-12-2008 01:02 PM

ThinkPad T60/X32/600/770 · IBM IntelliStation · 3x IBM SpaceSaver II