Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
CM40484
Accepted Solution

G41 Product Recovery not working

My hard drive died.  Got a new one and put it in the computer.  Used an old 98 boot disc to fdisk and format the new drive with 40 Gigs space and did not use the large block mode.

I have the Rescue and Recovery CD P/N 19R9174 and the Product Recovery CDs (6 of them) P/N 39K7220.  I ran those through as per the on screen instructions.  All loaded.

But when I boot, it just keeps going back to the IBM Rescue and Recovery screen.  It does not boot to Windows.  I looked at the C: drive and there is no Windows directory.

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong.  Please guide me so I can get XP back running.

Thanks

Carl

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: G41 Product Recovery not working

[ Edited ]

Hey, I don't know your machine, so I'm just tossing stuff at the wall here...

IIRC, on the older machines the recovery procedure was something like this:  run the recovery media, which builds the recovery partition on the HD.  Then boot the machine - which would bring up the (newly installed) recovery environment.

Once there, select "recover to factory state" (or whatever it's called) and that would restore the rest of the HD.

If I'm right, things are going as expected.  You just have to initiate the rest of the restore from within that freshly booted R&R screen.

Maybe...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

Punch Card
CM40484

That is what I did first.  Ran the Rescue and recovery CD and then the  Product Recovery CDs.  Just gave me the loop back to the IBM R&R screen. 

Thought that maybe it wanted a format for the disc, so I did that.  Still just loops back to the R&R screen.

I did use the "recover to factory state" option both times.

I wonder why there is no Windows directory.  I thought the Product recovery was supposed to install the OS.  It is labeled XP Pro sp2.

HELP!

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

[ Edited ]

I may be off base here, but I'm suggesting that after you've run the 1st CD and then the Product Recovery CDs and it loops back to the IBM R&R screen - _then_ you select recover to factory without using any CDs and without a CD in the drive.

The whole process you've gone through builds a recovery image in the recovery partition on your hard drive.  That recovery image is what is then used to build C: and its contents.

Newer machines do the recovery to an installed OS all in one whack.  Older machines (yours, maybe) use a 2-step process.  First run all the CDs, reboot to R&R, run the rest of the recovery from there.

I'm shooting blind here since I don't have a version of your machine.  Hopefully someone with hands-on experience will chime in.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

Punch Card
CM40484

I started the whole process by selecting the recover to factory defaults after running the 1st CD.

I thought that I did that, but I have been at it for 9 hours now.  Perhaps I did not do this.

I will return the drive to the pristine state then I will try it again and let you know.

Thanks for the reply.

Carl

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Hey Carl,  maybe ConnectDon can explain it better than I can.  Follow the links in this post.  It may be that on reboot to R&R there's stuff going on behind the scenes that require waiting at that R&R screen for a while before things proceed.  It may look like it's just sitting there...

Accepted Solution g41 new hard drive, factory restored, now stuck forever booting to R&R

Z.

Punch Card
CM40484

Hi Z,

You were correct!  I had to select the same screen THREE times.

I went back to the HD and wiped all the heads out, restored it to the factory state with no data written anywhere.

Then I booted with the R&R disc and it actually booted from the R&R this time from that disc.  Where before I had to format the drive and load drivers for the cd drive.

Then I selected the factory restore and it went about its business.  When it rebooted to the R&R, I selected for a second time the factory restore.  It rebooted and then asked for the product recovery discs, loaded them and it rebooted.  Then it asked for the third time to factory restore.

That time it loaded XP.  It is up and running!

THANK YOU!  I never would have thought that I had to choose to accept the warning that all data and files will be lost three times.  But you got me there.  Again, thanks

Carl

Punch Card
CM40484

I got the reinstall to work!

Then I started adding my programs.  Got about 1/3 through the process and then loaded Office 2007 with Word, Access and Excel.  Then I went to the update site.

OH WHAT A LOT OF FILES!  There were 1.3 gig of data to update!  Yes I said GIG not meg.  Took a very long time on my satellite connection, all night + really.  At 200 to 300 meg an hour........

Now my search will not work and I just do not know what to do about that.  It returns an error message that: unexpected error :action could be completed.  Also, external drives are grayed out and inaccessible under search.

Turned off the indexing service (using companion anyway).  Same result.

I first tried this:
Start>Run>cmd [enter] [Command prompt opens]
regsvr32 jscript.dll [enter]
regsvr32 %Windir%\srchasst\srchui.dll [enter]

I got a successful result on each attempt.

But search is the same.  No searching just error message.

Then I tried Windows\inf folder for the srchasst.inf file, right-click and choose Install.  It asks me for the CD SP3, but when I insert that, it will not find the file msgr3en.dll on the disc.  So that will not complete.   Then I pointed to the i386 folder on the hd and it worked.  But the search gives the same error message.

Any idea how to get the search working again.

Carl