Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
tquinones

Hard Drive Upgrade on IBM Thinkpad 600E 2645-35U

I bought and put in a Western Digital Scorpio WD800BEVE 80GB drive.  I cannot get the system to recognize that it has 80GB of available space.  It reads the drive as having 1.99GB drive instead.  I updated the BIOS hoping that would cure this.  The system does recognize that it has a drive but does not see the full size of the drive.  Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get the 600E to recognize the full size of the drive?

Tito

Fanfold Paper
thinkpadkid

Re: Hard Drive Upgrade on IBM Thinkpad 600E 2645-35U

Hi,

the 600E has (like most ThinkPads) a 48bit LBA, which results in that your 80GB should work without problems.

If you are going to use W2K or XP there won`t be a problem, because these OS scan the hardware by their own without taking the BIOS information. This way the full space will be available.

tpk

Paper Tape
GeneralMorris

Could Be Drive/OS Installation, Formatting, HD Driver or All.

I installed an old hard drive from a broke down Pavilion ze4600 (to a broke down Thinkpad 390x) and I thought I must of picked the least compatible drive. So after I started trying harder I tried to switch everything on like a light, finally got the drive installed and recognized.  

Paper Tape
thinkpadadrian

like the others said,  use xp.  it uses its own boot manager and overcomes many bios limitations.   if you must use 98,  the fdisk command uses bios to set the parameters,  and you may only be able to use a small portion of the disk.  you MIGHT try partitining and formating the drive in a newer computer (one that sees the whole drive in f-disk)  and then putting the drive back in your 600 and  installing windows on  it,   it may, or may  not work.   good luck,  adrian