Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
FlatSix

Impossible to access BIOS configuration and boot options

I changed the hard disk after a HDD failure in my Z61m and I'm trying to reinstall Win XP but I cannot boot from CD/DVD. I'm trying to access the BIOS to check if the boot otpion from CD/DVD is enabled. I turn on the PC, hit F1, on the screen appears 'Entering BIOS Setup Utility' but after few seconds the screen becomes black and nothing happens. I tried to hit ESC instead of F1 and a boot screen appears: I can see the RAM check, the HDD is recognized and identified, but then the screen becomes black again. If I hit F1 while the RAM check is running, it appears 'Entering Setup...' but again nothing happens. With F12, it appears 'Preparing Boot Device List' for about 15 seconds and then the screen becomes black as well. The only thing I can do is turn off the PC. So, the situation is: 1) The original HDD failed: I tried it in an external SATA case and it doesn't work. 2) The new hard disk seems to be correctly recognized and identified during initial system checks. 3) The Win XP CD works: I tried it in another notebook and I was able to boot and launch Windows set up. 4) The CD/DVD player spins, its LED lights, it makes the regular sound. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,339

Re: Impossible to access BIOS configuration and boot options

when the screen disappears, is there still any faint image appearing on the LCD itself? also does external LCD work?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Fanfold Paper
FlatSix

Thank you Lead_org, no images are displayed, simply the LCD becomes black. About external LCD, I'll try tomorrow at office. An additional information that could be useful: when the screen becomes black, the HDD led lights, but if I hit any key it turns off while I keep pressed the key.
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,339

Post back with the result.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Fanfold Paper
FlatSix

I tried external monitor but it doesn't work, neither directly connected to VGA on board nor to docking station port. I mean that no images are displayed on external monitor, it stays in stand by mode without receiving any signal. Frankly I remember that on the second monitor the screen appears after Windows boot, but this is the typical thing that you see every days for years but don't care enough to remember exactly when needed :smileyhappy: