04-17-2012 03:05 PM - edited 04-19-2012 02:43 AM
On Friday the 13th of April my old friend here wouldn't boot anymore. The video I've linked to below shows what happens when I turn the power on. The screen stays blank at all time and HD does not engage at any point. Any suggestions to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated!
What I've tried so far and still haven't found the problem:
- Change RAM (had the original still after upgrade) = RAM not dead.
- Pull out harddrive and test externally on another computer (+ virus scan - mostly because I was getting paranoid about my laptop dying on Friday 13th hehe) = HD not dead or infected.
- Pull out power supply, battery and RAM to provoke RAM failure beep series = motherboard not dead.
- Check voltage on CMOS battery = not dead.
- Boot from XP cd = the drive spins up for a short while and down again, but other that that nothing happens.
- Cursing at the sky = I'm at my wits end with this.
- Pull out CMOS battery to reset bios (forgot that one, sorry)
04-18-2012 05:07 AM
Remove battery and power supply and press power-key for 30 seconds
Attach power supply and turn on (leave battery detached)
If successful, attach the battery and test its health in the power manager.
If the battery is dead, leave it detached, it may cause damages on the system board.
04-20-2012 01:23 PM
A few more you can do:
04-21-2012 04:00 AM
04-22-2012 12:09 PM