Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
gypsy375

Locked out of my G41

I am having trouble getting on to my G41 thinkpad. I set up a password through BIOS sometime ago. I am fairly certain I remember the password but it is not working. I have tried the suggestions in the on-line manual including removing the batteries overnight (both of them) and rebooting without the batteries in. Each and everytime I see the IBM logo then hear two beeps and get an error message 0271 Check date and time settings and then a black screen with a small icon of a computer and a lock with a flashing cursor. I have tried interupting the start-up with F1 key and going to the BIOS. When I press F1 during set-up there is a message that says it is going to BIOS but it doesn't - just the same error message and the little lock.

ANY IDEAS!?!?

ajkula66
Kudos: 757
Solutions: 799

Re: Locked out of my G41

Welcome to the forum!

You'll have to remember the password, or replace the motherboard.

Password cracking techniques are out of the scope of this forum, and strictly prohibited by its rules.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T61, X301

Collecting dust: T60, T61p, R500F

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Token Ring
temp8127

The error message referring to date and time could suggest that the CMOS battery is failing. Perhaps if you just replaced the CMOS battery (they cost very little), the problem might go away. It may not be a problem with your password, but with the CMOS battery.

ajkula66
Kudos: 757
Solutions: 799

While 0271 error code does refer to a CMOS battery issue (date and time not set) a lock is a sign of a password presence.

On a machine locked with a Supervisor Password, removing the CMOS battery (or the battery dying) will trigger the password prompt.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T61, X301

Collecting dust: T60, T61p, R500F

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.