Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
xenosaga01
Accepted Solution

Massive Networking Problem Driving me crazy

I just got a Lenovo Thinkpad Z61m laptop from my girlfriends father. He switched to a Mac, he never even used the Lenovo.

The Product ID is: 9450FKU

Its running Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2.

It runs fast and everything, but the Thinkvantage software is wonky. The first time I powered it up I had to go through the motions of its first run installation. After that I created a recovery backup. Then I used the Thinkvantage Access connections to create a Home Profile for my wireless access. I got my wireless network added and was able to connect.. Everything seemed fine, until I tried to do the same for my ethernet connection. It failed the first time trying to connect. Gave me Error code 030. DHCP server error. Then the  Active Protection System balloon popped up saying that its sensor had an error and to run the PC Doctor to diagnose it. So I did that and after a restart. It would not connect at all to wireless using same settimgs. If i did a restore back to my first backup it would work fine. Every time I try to switch connections or install anything having to do with interntet or use the diagnostics it messes up. Thinkvantage access connections is crap. I tried all basic stuff trying to fix it. I updated to Service pack 3, .net framework. Thinkvantage toolbox, updated acess connections and any updates I thought would fix it, to no avail. I am considering reinstalling it with XP Professional.

Suggestions?

ajkula66
Kudos: 696
Solutions: 732

Re: Massive Networking Problem Driving me crazy

Welcome to the forum!

Uninstall Access Connections and let Windows manage your networks. That's the way my machines (all but one) have been running for years.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T410, W510

Backups: T60, T61p, R500F

For sale: T60 (15" SXGA+ IPS), T61p (14" SXGA+ & 15.4" WUXGA),

Rebuilding: A31p, T42p, X24

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
xenosaga01

Tried that. Windows doesnt control my connections if I uninstall. Or maybe I am doing it wrong. If you want to give me a step by step instruction I will try it, but I am pretty sure it doesnt want to work. This Lenovo thinkpad has a mind of its own and doesnt want to use anything but its own software.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
xenosaga01

Now I have a bigger problem. I used the recovery partition to reinstall to factory image and when it was 99% done it had some memory access error message and before I could write it down it automatically continued and I went to reinstall it again to factory image only to find that the recovery partition is not accessible and the option to recover to factory image gone from the Rescue and Recovery program....... XD This Lenovo laptop hates me for some reason.

ajkula66

Sounds like you're in for obtaining a set of recovery disks and starting fresh...

What happens if you press F11 on boot?

Cheers,

George

F = FrankenPad

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
xenosaga01

Luckily I had made some recovery discs. They worked after the second attempt. I now have a fresh install of XP Home. It connected immediately to an Ethernet connection using Windows built in Local Area Connection Program . I tried to connect to my Wireless router on my home network and it wont connect still. I Used windows Wireless Network Connection Manager to try it. I just double clicked my network and it tried to connect saying it would authenticate when it was ready. It never did. I then tried to add the connection manually. Ebtering in the correct SSID and the authentication method: Open and WEP security and then the 10 digit wep passkey. Still didnt work. Am I maybe missing a Client, Service, or Protocol?
ajkula66

I don't believe that you're missing anything.

Try going into the properties of the wireless connection and configuring the card per your needs.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

F = FrankenPad

Ctrl-Alt-Del
xenosaga01

Nope. Nothing is working. I am probably just going to reformat it with XP Pro and see if it is better.
ajkula66

Before you go back to formatting: what anti-virus are you running?

Cheers,

George

F = FrankenPad

Ctrl-Alt-Del
xenosaga01

its not antivirus related. first thing i did was remove all antivirus and windows firewall.