Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Token Ring
temp8127
Accepted Solution

Operating System for A21m (2628-F2U) - Linux? Ubuntu?

[ Edited ]

My ThinkPad A21m (2628-F2U, PIII 750 MHz (256KB), 512 MB RAM) works very efficiently with Windows 2000 SP4 and seems to work better on the internet with dial-up, than my higher-powered, 2GB RAM Windows XP computers). Unfortunately, it is now difficult to get anti-virus and firewall software that are compatible with Windows 2000. (I suspect - but haven't had the chance to fully investigate it yet - that my A21m would not meet the hardware specifications for the current versions of anti-virus and firewall software anyway.

I was wondering whether switching to Linux, Ubuntu, or some other operating system would help or would only add to my woes. If I switched to Linux, for example, would the Thinkpad drivers and software work with the new operating system? Would most other programs, such as Outlook Express, Microsoft Office, and so on, work with the new operating system?

If anyone has had experience with the problem of Windows 2000 no longer being supported by anti-virus and firewall providers, I would appreciate your suggestions and comments. Thank you.

802.11n
chuckk48

Re: Operating System for A21m (2628-F2U) - Linux ? Ubuntu?

I had the same problem with my A21m (2628 - GXU PIII 800 MHz) a few years ago, so I upgraded it to Windows XP Professional (SP3). My machine is also fully loaded with 512 MB of RAM,  I then installed Norton as the anti-virus/firewall software. I have to admit that the machine is rather sluggish though. I tend not to use it in favour of my 3GB R500. 

ThinkPad R61 8932-CTO T8300 2.40 Ghz 3GB RAM Win XP
ThinkPad R500 2714-CTO P8600 2.40 Ghz 3GB RAM Win XP; Two ThinkPad R500's 2714-CTO T9600 2.80 Ghz 4GB RAM Win 7
ThinkPad T500 2241-DB9 T9600 2.80 Ghz 4GB RAM Win 7
ThinkCenter A63 5237-CTO 3GB Ram Win XP; A21m and a pair of 380XD's
Guru
Mornsgrans

Re: Operating System for A21m (2628-F2U) - Linux ? Ubuntu?

Norton and Kaspersky slow down the computer significantly.

Better with Windows XP Service Pack 3 on A-Series is AVG or ESET Nod, maybe Avira and the Windows firewall.

Do not install Microsoft .NET Framework 3 and higher - they also slow down the computer.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Token Ring
temp8127

Re: Operating System for A21m (2628-F2U) - Linux? Ubuntu?

Thank you, Chuckk48 and Mornsgrans, for your suggestions regarding using Windows XP. 

I tested how Linux Puppy Wary would work on my A21m and found that there were no apparent hardware conflicts.  My Thinkpad buttons worked, I could connect to the internet using my dial-up modem, and I could configure it to print documents to my HP laserjet printer.  However, I found that the Sea Monkey web browser was not useful for me.  I then tried Linux Mint 11 Katya LXDE (32-bit) to see if it could be viable for me using Firefox as a web browser.  This version of Linux wouldn’t load because of some conflict or potential corruption of something on my computer.  Overall, based upon what I have discovered about Linux during these forays, I have determined that Linux is not the solution to prolonging the useful life of my A21m. 

So, as time permits, I will explore other Windows solutions (like XP) and/or other uses for my A21m.  For the immediate future, I will try keep it going as long as I can with antivirus and firewall software products that can still be used with Windows 2K.(if they exist).

Guru
Mornsgrans

Take care, that you have BIOS 1.08 or 1.09 installed to prevent your A21m from "Error 0175, bad CRC1" and keep the video chip "cool" to protect it from flexing.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Token Ring
temp8127

[ Edited ]

Thank you, Morngrans, for the warning about the video chip vulnerability. I had not been aware of that issue. Previously I was only concerned about the CPU running at 100% too often. (I have the latest BIOS, which is 1.09).

Token Ring
temp8127

There is one highly-rated and well-reputed internet security product that is compatible with Windows 2000, and works well with my ThinkPad A21m without draining or stressing resources. It is ESET Smart Security 5, which includes both anti-virus and firewall protection. The updating process over a dial-up connection also works well and does not cause me inconvenience. I thank Mornsgrans for drawing my attention to ESET. Now that I have a security product that works well with my ThinkPad A21m hardware and my Windows 2000 operating system, I can continue using my ThinkPad A21m for the foreseeable future.