Support in other languages: 
Token Ring
temp8127
Accepted Solution

Recognition of 2nd hard drive: Dock II, A21m, T43p

[ Edited ]

I put a new (presumably unformatted) second hard drive into the Ultrabay 2000 of my Thinkpad Dock II, which is usable by my A21m and my T43p. When docked, the BIOS of both computers recognize the drive (Fujitsu MHV2060AH); the Disk Manager of both computers recognize the drive and indicate that the device is working properly (the respective drivers for the second drive are the same as the primary drive); PC Doctor in T43p recognizes the drive and finds no errors when doing the quick drive test (PC Doctor in A21m did not recognize it); the bootable Apricorn floppy diskette in A21m recognized it and was ready to copy the contents of my primary drive on to the second hard drive.  So the drive itself seems to be OK. 

However, Windows Explorer does not recognize the drive, even in Safe Mode or when the drive is placed directly into the Ultrabay 2000 of the A21m.  I am guessing that the problem is that the drive needs to be formatted before Windows will recognize its existence.  [I do not want to use the Apricorn floppy diskette to format the drive, because it will only format it as FAT32 and it will reduce the size of drive to the same size as my primary drive. I do not want to temporarily remove my primary hard drive.] 

Is the Windows Explorer issue due to the fact that the second drive is unformatted?  If so, do I need to buy a USB thingy and attach the second hard drive to it, in order to be able to format it?  Or, is the problem something else entirely (like something to do with both drives being “Master”)?  Thanks for your help.

ajkula66
Kudos: 750
Solutions: 795

Re: Recognition of 2nd hard drive: Dock II, A21m, T43p

You can use any XP install disk to format the drive. There's also a bunch of free programs, just search the web.

No need to buy anything IMO.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T61, X301

Collecting dust: T60, T61p, R500F

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
Token Ring
temp8127

Thank you, George, for your suggestions. However, I was afraid that if I used a Windows install disk (which I don’t have access to anyway) or a free downloaded program, something could go wrong and my primary {C} drive would get formatted instead of the second hard drive. So I decided to play it safe and see what I could get by using the Apricorn floppy diskette that came with the HDD adapter.

For the record, here is what happened. The Apricorn program formatted the second drive as FAT32 and duplicated my primary drive on to the second drive. (The second drive has to be in the A21m ultrabay, not in the Dock II, to do this.) When I re-booted, Windows 2K now recognized the second drive but made it the system drive (C-drive) and gave it the same label as my pre-existing primary drive. So, the trick is to remove the second drive from the ultrabay before booting up again. I solved the drive assignment issue, by taking out the second drive and re-booting a couple of times. With the second drive in the Dock II, I then checked to see whether both A21m (W2K) and T43p (XP) recognized the drive and could work with the files on them, which they did. I re-labeled the second drive and re-formatted it to NTFS. So, in a roundabout way, I got what I had wanted, and also learned that a drive in the computer’s ultrabay can easily be converted to a system drive if need be.

What's DOS?
krot-tt

Tell please, what part number Ultrabay 2000 for Thinkpad Dock II?
Thanks.
Token Ring
temp8127

The part number for the Thinkpad Dock II with a US/Canada power cord is 2877-10U and (FRU) 67P9010.

The part number for the Thinkpad Dock II without any power cord is 2877-10A and (FRU) 67P9010.

The part number for the ThinkPad Ultrabay 2000 Hard Drive Adapter is 08K6068 and (FRU) 08K6067. The adapter fits into the Ultrabay 2000 of Thinkpads that have an Ultrabay 2000, and fits into the Thinkpad  Dock II.