Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
rwiedle

Rescue and Recovery 3 - Logon Pop-up

When I try to run Rescue and Recovery from the Blue ThinkVantage Button it prompts for my "Windows Password".

It will not accept my windows password and says: "The requested operation requires password authentication, but you do not have a password configured. Please configure a password and retry the operation."

Windows will not boot.

1.) where do I "configure" a password?

2.) if "configure" password is not an option what do I need to do to get Windows up and running.

Thanks,

Russ

Russ
Z60t 2511-E7U
Bit Torrent
wjli2

Re: Rescue and Recovery 3 - Logon Pop-up

There are reports that Rescue and Recovery updates were automatically setting random passwords. If you haven't set password for it, then obviously there could be error in it somewhere. Are you still under warranty, you may have give Lenovo support a call, and they will take you step by step in solving this problem. 
Fanfold Paper
rwiedle

Lenovo Support said the only option is to start over - they are sending a set of recovery CDs.  Can I do the recovery on to a new and larger hard disk to try and save my data that wasn't backed up?  How large of a hard disk can I put into a Z60t?  Current drive is a 100 GB SATA Drive
Russ
Z60t 2511-E7U
Bit Torrent
wjli2

you can get a 320 gig SATA if you wish. 
Paper Tape
awolfkiel

I am having the same problem. I am also getting very frustrated by Lenovo Tech Support & Fulfillment. My computer is a Thinkpad X41 tablet (this is a personal machine not one of the hundreds I have purchased for my employer). My machine is out of support/warranty. When tech support wouldn't talk to me until I talked to Fulfillment. Fulfillment told me that if I accepted for cost support then I would receive technical assistance over the phone and would only have to pay if I sent my machine in for repair ($250-$550).

Based on the information in this posting, it appears that a Lenovo Rescue & Recovery patch has scrambled the R&R password with no way to recover. To me this is Lenovo breaking my computer for me.

If my Chevy dealer broke my car for me (when I took it to them for regularly schedued maintenance - i.e. System Update), then I would be very unhappy if they returned my car to me broken.

This posting indicates that the only way to get this fixed is to get recovery CDs. Lenovo wants to charge $45.99 for these. I think this is a case where they should be provided for free.

Unfortunately, tech support is telling me they won't even confirm the R&R patch problem by looking it up in the knowledge base. (My thinking being if they can confirm that Lenovo broke my computer, then they should agree to provide the R&R CDs for free.)

After two tech support people refused to read the knowledge base and discuss this problem, I asked for escalation.

Most surprising of all, the second tech stated that managers are not available for escalation for out of warranty computers. In fact, he claimed that this was a written policy (he claimed to have a piece of paper in front of him).

So, what do you do when Lenovo breaks your computer for you and won't agree to help fix it?

Thanks,

Albert

Case# 30THHKP

Blue Screen Again
TonyUK

I have the same problem in R&R 4 on a Z61M. I have been having a nightmare as I can't access my backup on an IBM external USB disc bought with R&R preinstalled. I have been using this for backups, ALL my stuff is saved on it.

I need to restore after a crash. That's why we backup right?

R&R keeps going round in an endless loop it failed to restore twice giving an error with something like 'memory module PDAGUI error at 00001234578' ( sorry this is not exact)

Now it boots to R&R & asks for password...I input the windows password & it says no password is set. If I state password forgotten it says no recovery questions set. It seems to have forgotten everything. Why it needs a password for recovery is beyond me, I don't want it to have a password next time IF I ever use the monster that is R&R4 again.

Currently unable to access my backups from the recovery console using the CD's I made OR the USB external drive due to this. I have a windows password it's simple & has been used many times I can't possibly have the wrong one.

It now won't boot to windows at all. I have tried to install XP from another disc & it says there is no hard drive connected. Some research seems to throw up a setting in BIOS to change from SATA as a solution so it (XP Setup ) will see the drive.

IF ( BIG IF) I manage to get a fresh copy of  XP on there & then download R&R4 would I then be able to access my backup or will I still be bogged down in the password mire.

Any help appreciated.

Regards Tony