Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
skeezix07
Accepted Solution

Running Out of Disk Space!

I have removed about all I can from my Z60M but my 80 GB disk has only about 20% of space left and the laptop is dragging its butt on every program I run. My question is -- how can I upgrade to a larger disk? Is it something I can do or does Inovo of IBM do it in the shop? I like the Z60M but didn't think I'd need more than 80 GB for storage. BTW -- I also have a 50 GB maxtor that I'm offloading pictures and music on to free up the computer.

Skeezix
Ctrl-Alt-Del
LynnMorag

Re: Running Out of Disk Space!

As a keen photographer, I'd be interested in this too. I did reclaim a large amount of space by doing backups on an external hard drive rather than on the laptop itself. At the moment I have two external hard drives and the small, very portable USB one gives me an extra 250GB (however, I can't do back-ups to this one).

Blue Screen Again
skeezix07

Lynn,

Thanks for your reply. It isn't what I was hoping for but you certainly know what I'm facing with my laptop. I'm into photos too, but as references for my watercolors. So, I learned a long time ago that I'd have to off-load my photos in order to have operating space on the Laptop. It works fine, but I am constantly filling the Hard Disk (if that's what they call them anymore!). I was hoping someone out there could tell me what to do if I wanted a larger disk on the Laptop, but no one has offered any advice in that direction.

Thank you for your reply. It is very appreciated.

Best of luck with your photography.

Skeezix
Blue Screen Again
skeezix07

[ Edited ]

Lynn,

I'm back again. I wanted you to know that I found one other trick that worked. It involved clearing the System Restore Points. These files result it tons of disk space every 24 hours! I found the procedure in Windows XP at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/mcgill1.mspx I assume the link is still there. Follow these steps and you will see a significant result in the amount of available disk space when you finish. When finished you will restore as describewd by Michael McGill. It works better than anything else I have tried to free up my disk space.

Good Luck,

Skeezix07 

Message Edited by skeezix07 on 06-29-2008 03:22 PM
Ctrl-Alt-Del
LynnMorag

skeezix07 wrote:

Lynn,

I'm back again. I wanted you to know that I found one other trick that worked. It involved clearing the System Restore Points. These files result it tons of disk space every 24 hours! I found the procedure in Windows XP at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/mcgill1.mspx I assume the link is still there. Follow these steps and you will see a significant result in the amount of available disk space when you finish. When finished you will restore as describewd by Michael McGill. It works better than anything else I have tried to free up my disk space.

Good Luck,

Skeezix07 

Message Edited by skeezix07 on 06-29-2008 03:22 PM

Oh I appreciate the reply, Skeezix!

I must have disabled this at some time, but following a problem on my mother's machine when I needed to use this facility, I re-enabled it. That was lucky as it saved me a day or so later!

Reading this again, I am going to go back into it to see if you can limit the time over which it stores the restore points.