Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
RufusGoofus

Start / all programs /empty - after restore

[ Edited ]

Sorry if this has been  covered elsewhere!   A Z61 T caught some nasty malware that took over everything ( my girlfriend unfortunately thought the fake "Windows Rescue and Recovery control panel" was genuine and followed the malware intruders orders.   Task manager disabled by bug etc.    Bottom line is the Thinkpad button worked and we were able to restore from the backup partition.  

The problem is that the when you open windows via the start button - the all programs folder is empty - no shortcuts to any programs.  Also in the control panel - the administrative tools shortcuts are missing. 

I was able to find all of the files including the administrative tools  I simply do not know how to restore the shortcuts.  It would be nice if there were a process to do these changes in bulk - but short of that I need to understand how to do it one program at a time.   Any help is greatly appreciated.

Retired Employee
Serge1410

Re: Start / all programs /empty - after restore

hey RufusGoofus,

the backup which you used, was it from the windows system restore or was it from Rescue & Recovery ?

with regards to placing the programs back into the program folder, i would suggest getting in contact with Microsoft.

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Fanfold Paper
RufusGoofus

Re: Start / all programs /empty - after restore

Used Thinkvantage rescue and recovery.   The shortcuts in "all programs" and the shortcuts in administrative tools within the control panel seem to be the only items not restored from the backup.