Support in other languages: 
Reply
Retired Moderator
JHEM
Posts: 424
Registered: ‎11-20-2007
Location: Medford, NJ
0

Re: Thinkpad G40 memory upgrade


imbsysop wrote:

OK Thank you for the information .. will check if those guys ship to my country :smileyhappy:


They do and you get to pay suitably for the privilege! 3D Spinning Smiley

 

http://www.crucial.com/eu/

 

Regards,

James
_______________________________
Full disclosure, I don't work for Lenovo.
James at Thinkpads dot com
Fanfold Paper
imbsysop
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎07-24-2008
Location: Belgium
0

Re: Thinkpad G40 memory upgrade


JHEM wrote:

imbsysop wrote:

OK Thank you for the information .. will check if those guys ship to my country :smileyhappy:


They do and you get to pay suitably for the privilege!

 

http://www.crucial.com/eu/

 


Thank you very much for actualy doing my work :smileyhappy:

 

regards

Willy

 

Retired Moderator
JHEM
Posts: 424
Registered: ‎11-20-2007
Location: Medford, NJ
0

Re: Thinkpad G40 memory upgrade

No problem, you can buy me a Flemish red next time I'm in Bruge. Winking 9
Regards,

James
_______________________________
Full disclosure, I don't work for Lenovo.
James at Thinkpads dot com
Fanfold Paper
imbsysop
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎07-24-2008
Location: Belgium
0

Re: Thinkpad G40 memory upgrade


JHEM wrote:
No problem, you can buy me a Flemish red next time I'm in Bruge.

OK .. let me know ...

 

BTW I am still intrigued by this 1Gig/2Gig max memory issue ... I rechecked the SIW data (System Information for Windows) 

 

The chipset is an Intel 852GM and the SIW data also confirm max mem = 1024M being 2x 512M ..

 

This is confirmed by the Intel datasheet for this chipset ... 

http://www.intel.com/products/notebook/chipsets/852gm/852gm-overview.htm

 

It is not impossible that some G40 machines were released with a 855GM chipset which again according  to Intel can address 2Gig ..

 see http://www.intel.com/products/notebook/chipsets/855gm/855gm-overview.htm

FWIW

 

Retired Moderator
JHEM
Posts: 424
Registered: ‎11-20-2007
Location: Medford, NJ
0

Re: Thinkpad G40 memory upgrade


imbsysop wrote:

JHEM wrote:
No problem, you can buy me a Flemish red next time I'm in Bruge.

OK .. let me know ...

 

BTW I am still intrigued by this 1Gig/2Gig max memory issue ... I rechecked the SIW data (System Information for Windows) 

 

The chipset is an Intel 852GM and the SIW data also confirm max mem = 1024M being 2x 512M ..


Intel normally lists memory capacity as per memory slot, rarely a total memory capacity.

Regards,

James
_______________________________
Full disclosure, I don't work for Lenovo.
James at Thinkpads dot com
Fanfold Paper
imbsysop
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎07-24-2008
Location: Belgium
0

Re: Thinkpad G40 memory upgrade


JHEM wrote:

imbsysop wrote:

JHEM wrote:
No problem, you can buy me a Flemish red next time I'm in Bruge.

OK .. let me know ...

 

BTW I am still intrigued by this 1Gig/2Gig max memory issue ... I rechecked the SIW data (System Information for Windows) 

 

The chipset is an Intel 852GM and the SIW data also confirm max mem = 1024M being 2x 512M ..


Intel normally lists memory capacity as per memory slot, rarely a total memory capacity.


Hmmm ... I wonder .. not by reading the specific specs of the chipset .. there is always a mention of maximum addressable memory with all "slots" populated, never a mention of a "per slot" (which would make little sense in a chipset spec given some flexibility in the final computer achitecture ..)

 

from the datasheet ... http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/252407.pdf

 

Intel 852GM/852GMV GMCH System Memory Interface


The Intel 852GM/852GMV GMCH System Memory controller directly supports the following:
One channel of PC1600/2100 SO-DIMM DDR SDRAM memory
DDR SDRAM devices with densities of 128-Mb, 256-Mb, and 512-Mb technology
Maximum system memory support of two, double-sided SO-DIMMs (four rows populated) with
up to 1 GB memory
Variable page sizes of 2-kB, 4-kB, 8-kB, and 16-kB. Page size is individually selected for every
row and a maximum of 16 pages may be opened simultaneously
Table 1. DDR Memory Capacity
Technology     Width System       Memory Capacity
128 Mb                  8                             256 MB
256 Mb                  8                             512 MB
512 Mb                  8                                 1 GB
128 Mb                16                             256 MB
256 Mb                16                             512 MB
512 Mb                16                                 1 GB

 

So I wonder if there is actually somone with this G40 chipset config that runs the machine with 2Gig memory :smileyhappy:

FWIW

 

Retired Moderator
JHEM
Posts: 424
Registered: ‎11-20-2007
Location: Medford, NJ
0

Re: Thinkpad G40 memory upgrade

[ Edited ]

imbsysop wrote:

Hmmm ... I wonder .. not by reading the specific specs of the chipset .. there is always a mention of maximum addressable memory with all "slots" populated, never a mention of a "per slot" (which would make little sense in a chipset spec given some flexibility in the final computer achitecture ..)


Interesting point, but it's precisely the flexibility of the computer architecture that would normally demand a per memory slot specification due to the fact that the chipset manufacturer has no way of knowing if the chipset will be used in a laptop (2 slots) or a desktop (4 slots). Certainly that's not a universal standard as there are many chipsets that are for mobile systems only, but the old 440BX chipset that many desktops and laptops were built on had that per slot limitation. It's the reason a 600X will max out at 576MB RAM.

 

The A31P I happen to be using at this moment is built on the Intel 845MP chipset which has a supposed 1GB RAM max capacity, but I can assure you that this machine has two 1GB RAM sticks installed and is using them both. Same thing goes for my T30 and my backup A31P.

 

I wish I could assure you that I have personal experience with upgrading the G40 to 2GB RAM, but I can only offer second hand information.

Message Edited by JHEM on 08-23-2008 01:20 PM
Regards,

James
_______________________________
Full disclosure, I don't work for Lenovo.
James at Thinkpads dot com
Fanfold Paper
imbsysop
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎07-24-2008
Location: Belgium
0

Re: Thinkpad G40 memory upgrade

Thanks very much for the additional info ... I've found a cooperative countryman that is wanting to help me test the memory configurations we are discussing so I may be back next Tuesday morning :smileyhappy: with a final verdict LOL !

 

 

Paper Tape
tourgod
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎12-24-2008
Location: Turkey
0

Re: Thinkpad G40 memory upgrade

Thank's For this information.

 

I have thinkpad type2388g with 768 mb ram.

But I want to use 2 gb ram Why?

Fanfold Paper
rrcagnes06
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎05-11-2009
Location: France
0

Re: Thinkpad G40 memory upgrade

Hi Willy,

Just to let you know that I have just upgraded the G40 of my daugther with  2*1Go and everything went OK. 

In addition I have upgraded also the HDD up to 160Go. 

 

Have a nice day.

 

Rene. 

Thinkpad R52 - 1846-3WG - XP