Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
sWod02

What Lenovo/IBM/Microsoft fixes to install on newly-imaged Z60t

I've had to re-image our Z60t back to factory state after encountering unresponsive Ethernet and wireless adapters (long story which I won't bother with here).

After bringing the machine back to factory state (the Ethernet and wireless adapters are both working fine, thank you) and bringing Windows XP up to SP3+ level with a gazillion (about 30 actually) high-priority Microsoft updates, we're still left with:

- six (6) Microsoft hardware updates for this machine;

- two (2) 'critical' updates ThinkVantage System  Updates (TVSU) presents;

- seven (7) 'Recommended' updates TVSU presents;

- twenty-five (25) 'Optional' updates TVSU presents.

I'd like some advice on how much of this stuff we really should be applying.  This machine is used for email, some Word/Excel writing, and for playing Freecell.

The Microsoft hardware list comprises Broadcom Ethernet, Thinkpad modem, IBM 800dpi Scrollpoint Optical, Lenovo Thinkpad Display 1280x760,Thinkpad PM Device, and Ultranav Pointing Device support.

The TVSU critical list includes ThinkPad Hotkey Features Setup and Power Management Driver support.

The TVSU recommended list comprises Third-Party Plugin for Lenovo Thinkvantage Productivity Center, ThinkVantage Productivity Center, Modem Software, Wireless LAN(11abg,bg), Power Manager, EasyEject Utility, and Active Protection System.

The TVSU optional list comprises System Migration Assistant, Atmel TPM Device, Intervideo WinDVD upgrade, Multimedia Center for Think Offerings Update, WinDVD 5 Update, Thinkpad Audio features XI, Broadcom driver, UltraNav Wizard, Client Security Solution 8.2, Video Features (Intel 91xyy), PC Doctor 5, Maintenance Manager, Message Center, Rescue and Recovery V4.21, Fingerprint Software, Adobe Flash Player Plugin and ActiveX, ThinkPad Configuration, TrackPoint Accessibility Features, DLA by Sonic Update, UltraNav Utility, UltraNav Driver, Keyboard Customizer Utility, Presentation Director, and WinDVD Creator Update.

Prior to our disaster with the communication adapters, we regularly applied all Microsoft fixes and upgrades and most all IBM/Lenovo fixes and upgrades.  Now, I'm not so sure this was a good practice. 

I stripped our newly-imaged system of Access Connections since my experience with that IBM/Lenovo add-on is that it just gets in the way of the Microsoft function. (Surprisingly I notice it's not in any of the TVSU lists now; perhaps IBM/Lenovo now agree with me).  I'm wary of applying any of the Microsoft or Lenovo Broadcom updates since this is the function we had trouble with on this machine and since both Microsoft and Lenovo offer (competing?  conflicting?) updates.

I took screen prints of all of this in case anyone is curious about the gory details, but I'm mainly interested in people's update practices or if there are items on any of these lists we should surely apply or ignore.

What's DOS?
dbrew2001

Re: What Lenovo/IBM/Microsoft fixes to install on newly-imaged Z60t

Hello,

Unfortunately, I don't have answer to your question but my laptop has lost the Ethernet and Wireless adapters. Can you point me to where I can find more information about this problem. I'm not sure what should be backed up before I re-image back to the factory state - in fact I do not even know who to do this.

Thanks for your help!

Fanfold Paper
jcr46385

Hi, can you get online, if you can click link   http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-61506 ....jcr46385
Fanfold Paper
jcr46385

[ Edited ]

Hi, IBM Lenovo for drivers software first and Yes>>> Lenovo software update and if you still have a problem

uninstalled and reinstall the drivers  http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-61506 ....jcr46385  

The TVSU critical list includes No>>>ThinkPad Hotkey Features Yes>>>Setup and Power Management Driver support.

The TVSU recommended list comprises No>>>Third-Party Plugin for Lenovo Thinkvantage Productivity Center, Yes All>>>ThinkVantage Productivity Center, Modem Software, Wireless LAN(11abg,bg), Power Manager, EasyEject Utility, and Active Protection System.

The TVSU optional list comprises No>>>System Migration Assistant, No>>>Atmel TPM Device, No>>Intervideo No>>>WinDVD upgrade, No>>>Multimedia Center for Think Offerings Update, No>>.WinDVD 5 Update, MayBe>>>Thinkpad Audio features XI, Yes>>>Broadcom driver, MayBe>>>UltraNav Wizard, No>>>Client Security Solution 8.2, Yes>>>Video Features (Intel 91xyy), PC Doctor 5, Maintenance Manager, Message Center, Rescue and Recovery V4.21, Fingerprint Software, Yes>>>Adobe Flash Player Plugin and ActiveX, Yes>>>ThinkPad Configuration, TrackPoint Accessibility Features, No>>>DLA by Sonic Update, Yes All>>>UltraNav Utility, UltraNav Driver, No All>>>Keyboard Customizer Utility,Presentation Director, and WinDVD Creator Update.

Prior to our disaster with the communication adapters, we regularly applied all Microsoft fixes and upgrades and most all IBM/Lenovo fixes and upgrades.  Now, I'm not so sure this was a good practice. 

I stripped our newly-imaged system of Access Connections since my experience with that IBM/Lenovo add-on is that it just gets in the way of the Microsoft function. (Surprisingly I notice it's not in any of the TVSU lists now; perhaps IBM/Lenovo now agree with me).  I'm wary of applying any of the Microsoft or Yes>>>Lenovo Broadcom updates since this is the function we had trouble with on this machine and since both Microsoft and Lenovo offer (competing?  Yes>>>conflicting?) updates.

Message Edited by jcr46385 on 10-22-2008 08:08 PM
Fanfold Paper
sWod02

jcr46385, thanks for your comments.  I was noticing that your preferences seem to be for the Lenova patches or upgrades versus the Microsofts ones, and I was wondering how you came about preferring the Lenovo ones.

Also, I am confused and rather befuddled by the apparent conflicts between Microsoft and Lenovo patches.  Do you have any insight as to how this could occur?  Obviously these two maintenance teams don't work together, but I would think Lenovo would be aware their customers also require Microsoft patches and upgrades and need to be able to apply both.  I've not seen the same kind of conflict between Microsoft upgrades and the Dell patches and upgrades I apply to my Dell desktop system.

Fanfold Paper
jcr46385

Hi, My preferences for the OS Software is Microsoft and for drivers and patchs is IBM Lenovo, they know what works and what don't,and the laptop Mfg recieve feedback from their customers. a example is, went i go to Lenovo update and i don't download the driver for BB. But, went i go to Microsoft update it detect the BB driver is missing and ask if i want to download the driver. Microsoft drivers are universal and Mfg are defined.

I have a save Norton Ghost image on a partition, in near future it be on a USB bootable drive. and I have a hard time explaining things and writing it down.