Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
furyan
Accepted Solution

Z60m Hard drive upgrade

Hello all

I intend to upgrade the hard drive in my z60m, to a Seagate momentus 7200.4, essentially because it's in the latest firmware update list I could find.

I have created the ISO disk for checking for HDD firmware updates and checked on my current drive that it works.

I intend to install windows on the new hard drive using the restore disks, after which I will manually install updates for all the drivers and also all the files I use routinely.

My question is at what point should I use the ISO HDD firmware update programme. I'm not buying my HDD from IBM and understand that the firmware update might not work, but at what point should I try. I was thinking to install the new hard drive and then run the firmware update software before installing the OS from the restore disks. Is this right or should I run the HDD firmare update after I've installed the factory image onto the new hard drive?

Thank you.

ajkula66
Kudos: 696
Solutions: 732

Re: Z60m Hard drive upgrade

Welcome to the forum!

Firmware update is really not that much of a big deal, you can do it from a bootable CD before you install the OS, or at any time after you've installed it. It really won't make much of a difference either way.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T410, W510

Backups: T60, T61p, R500F

For sale: T60 (15" SXGA+ IPS), T61p (14" SXGA+ & 15.4" WUXGA),

Rebuilding: A31p, T42p, X24

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
Fanfold Paper
furyan

Re: Z60m Hard drive upgrade

[ Edited ]

Hello George,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I thought it probably wouldn't matter much.