Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Token Ring
lvlenovo

a31 will not run from battery - high pitch sound - Defective battery or motherboard?

[ Edited ]

My A31 does not start or run from the battery. When I press the power button, I hear a buzz sound. It seems to be louder near the battery, but it may be on the motherboard.

The batter does charge ( indicates will hold  about 60% of capacity ) left from the 110 or so cycles. A multitester reading of 11.1V (no load obviously) - I can power a 12V LED strip, but I am afraid to try something more demanding that could blow the battery fuse.

Getting a new battery would determine if the battery is the problem, but it would be a waste if the motherboard is the problem. Given the notebook`s weight, a battery is not absolutely necessary, but practical at times.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem with the A series?

T61p T7500, Quadro FX 570M, 4GB, 60GB Patriot Pyro, XP Pro
X61t Tablet, L7300 Centrino vPro, Windows 7 Home 64-bit
tpfancontrol installed on all systems
Token Ring
lvlenovo

Re: a31 will not run from battery - high pitch sound - Defective battery or motherboard?

According to the service manual on page 40, the battery voltage is fine, so is the resistance between pins 4 and 5. I guess the motherboard is the problem.

Obviously some power does get drawn from the battery to make that sound, but which component is defective is difficult to know with out looking at the board. When I press power, hear the sound, but then plug in the power supply, it starts and works fine. Unplugging with a fully charged battery, the system dies - no sound.

I have no intention to open the system if I do not have the schematic. Getting replacement components is not that difficult. Does anyone have a schematic or any knowledge of this type of problem?

Cheers

ajkula66
Kudos: 757
Solutions: 801

Re: a31 will not run from battery - high pitch sound - Defective battery or motherboard?

ThinkPad schematics are considered proprietary information and not available publicly...

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Punch Card
karns16228

The A31 that I am using right now makes the squealing noise, but only when it is charging. It has gotten better though, but it still won't charge when it is off. Does the sound come from the left hand side near the power input? That's where mine does. If I figure it out, well, I'll see what it is.

Token Ring
lvlenovo

The battery charges and discharges, but I cannot run the computer from the battery.

If the AC is not conneted, when I press the power button, all I hear is high pitch squeal ( I have good hearing).

Check to see if is the power brick or the computer itself. Most AC adapters make a high pitch noise depending on the load.

Punch Card
karns16228

See, mine does the same thing, but I can run it off of the battery. I get about an hour and a half of battery life. but if it runs all the way down, it won't get past the bios screen. It gives me a low battery error, and dies. but in the short time it is on, it will charge. so, to remedy this, I have to take out the hard drive and the cd and floppy drives.