Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
Bellcart
Accepted Solution

200n Keyboard - Caps Lock inverted = no numbers + all files highlighted

[ Edited ]

Factory o/s Vista Home + recovery CD

Faults occurred sometime after installing wireless printer. Computer left unattended. Son heard lots of beeping.

Caps lock worked but text was inverted which also resulted in no numbers. Selecting a file from a list resulted in all files above being selected.

Many things tried, restored to previous point, keyboard checked with MS diagnostic tool OK. Eventually keyboard stopped working (same with external USB keyboard) and it was impossible to restore using Recovery disc.

Paid to have system restored to Factory settings.

Memory and HDD checked and refitted. On final update, no 20 of 27 - bleeping and small Filter Key window appeared and kept on appearing 10/20 times during updating. Still both problems occurred.

Purchased new HDD and Win 7 upgrade

Installed XP pro sp2, could not type numbers in product key

Clean installed Win 7, Caps lock inverted and no numbers with Keyboard, USB keyboard and On-line keyboard. Again all files highlighted.

System Trouble Shooting – No changes or updated necessary.

System Restore – Error 0xC0003005

In Safe Mode – removed Norton leaving MS net 4, MS Silverlight, NVDIA driver.

Wireless mouse works.

Filter Key window appears sometimes.

Action Center – Richo memory stick controller incompatible, no card reader driver.

Can access msconfig but not mskey or msreg

Lenovo 3000 200n 0769 BWG

TY2BWUK  s/n xxxxxxx 08/02

Win 7 Pro build 7601 sp1    BIOS 68ET35ww (v3.03)

Keyboard std PS/2

Moderator Note; s/n edited for member's own protection

Paper Tape
Bellcart

Re: 200n Keyboard - Caps Lock inverted = no numbers + all files highlighted

Thought I had the problem solved last night. Started up this morning, it still did not work.

Two googled posts said remove any other languages and 2nd keyboard attached does not isolate the main keyboard.

Control - Language - Change keyboard - no other languages except English, Press Cap Lock selected. - Advance Key settings - Change Key Sequence to Not Assigned.

Control - Easy Access - Change Keyboard - All unticked.

Today, I removed the keyboard as shown in the service video.  Attached a USB external keyboard. Start up - No Problems.

Replaced the keyboard, problems reappeared. It is difficult to imagine that the keyboard is at fault. I did replace the one on my son's 200n as some of the keys stopped working due to over use gaming. I used a American part as it was half the price of a similar UK part.

Paper Tape
Bellcart

New keyboard solved the problem.

Trying to check the fault with an external usb keyboard does not isolate the laptop keyboard.

The only way to check if the keyboard is faulty is to disconnect the cable and then try with an external usb keyboard. If it now works the keyboard is faulty.

All you need is a small crosshead and flat screwdrivers and follow the instructions in the service video.

Cleo_Lenovo
Topics: 79
Kudos: 255
Solutions: 137

Hey Bellcart,

Thanks for coming back with your solutions! I'm sure what you went through has helped other forum users too!

Cheers,
Cleo

WW Social Media
T61, T410, x240, Z500, Flex 14

Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество