Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Moderator
yigit

Re: B575 hangs when powering down or rebooting

it's probably driver issue due to original os didn't have any issue but you need to figure it out which driver causes.

try to install one driver each time after clean windows installation, restart your computer and check if the issue persists. if it works, you can install next driver.

http://www.ki-themes.com
Paper Tape
Lenovoissues101

[ Edited ]

I had the same... and I mean the same exact issues as the original poster. The system worked fine with factory settings, but after formatting the entire drive and installing Windows Home Premium 64-bit SP1 OEM, the system cannot shut itself down after Windows finishes the shutdown routine. It is just a black/blank screen, but the Power button LED remains on, as well as system fans running and I have to hold down the power button for 4+ seconds in order to fully shutdown the machine. Also, I wish to note, during the Windows Installation, it froze at the end of each needed restarting/rebooting during its course of installing. It's like the hardware does not respond to system calls of needing to reboot. It has to be forced by holding down the power button. The system did not show these signs with factory settings, and I am fixing this computer for a client because they did not wish to have all the pre-loaded software slowing down the system and interfering with software installation (which is what started the whole need of erasing/re-installing). The system works fine except for the shutting down phase, and now I have to explain this glitch/conspiracy to the client of what they must endure until I can remedy this issue. The fact that it did this during the installation of Windows leads me to believe it is not driver related. I also, as a routine way of installing windows, install drivers one-by-one, then restart to allow changes to be made gradually by the drivers to the system, instead of multiple drivers modifying things all at once.

mod note: please do not post your issue in multiple threads as it splinters the discussion and hinders others' ability to help you.   duplicate posts have been removed.

What's DOS?
mikeey

For the wireless unable to see any connections; I solved mine by booting directly to HDD in the bios and bypassing the boot manager. Look at the boot order in bios, you will see what I mean..just move the boot manager down the list, worked for me..

Paper Tape
jumpncrash

I just purchased a lenovo b575 and did a fresh install of windows.

I am now having issues with it hanging every time I ask it to shut down or restart

All drivers ahve been installed from teh site and I have not found anything that will let me have ti shut down.

Has anybody gottne this figured out yet?

Thanks, nick

802.11n
pagroundhog

[ Edited ]

Hello,

If your fresh install was intended to wipe the hard drive clean and create one (new) large partition, you will have to fix the MBR first. This can be done from the rescue disk prior to formatting the hard drive and doing the fresh install of windows 7.

On my first try at fresh install (as described above), the laptop hung every time it wanted to reboot (during the installation) so I had to manually restart the installation by the power off/on button. Moreover, once the install was completed, the laptop would not respond to reboot and shut down requests.

However, once I fixed the MBR, then formatted the hard drive, and then did the installation, everything went well.

Note: I may have had to delete all partitions before fixing the MBR but iI just can't remember the exact sequence. However, I do remember the Lenovo installation originally had 3 partitions and after fixing the MBR, I ultimately ended up with just 2 partitions before installing (1 small system partition and 1 large partition for the installation).

Good luck,

pagroundhog

Paper Tape
narno06

Pagroundhog,

could you please explain what you did to fix the MBR?

I tried several things but haven't got it right yet..

thanks

802.11n
pagroundhog

Hello namo06,

OK; here we go!

The problem:

When trying to do a clean install over an existing Lenovo installation, the new OEM Windows 7 installation hangs at every reboot attempt and the power on/off button must be used to cycle the installation through to completion. Once done, the pc will not respond to shut down or reboot requests via the start menu.

The cause:

The hard drive master boot record (e.g. MBR) has been previously set up for Lenovo's configuration which calls for three partitions; whereas, a healthy OEM Windows 7 installation requires only 2 partitions ( 1 small system partition and 1 larger partition for the operating system. However, this requirement doesn't limit you ability to add an extra partition (like for a D drive) but it must be done within the proper configuration of the MBR.

The point of failure:

During the installation, you get to a point where it shows the existing partitions on the hard drive and you will see the 3 Lenovo partitions. So, if you did like I first did (delete the 3 partitions and request a format of the hard drive) it actually build 3 partitions again; however, the way they are structured is the killer on this installation and leads to the problems described above.

How do I fix this so the OEM installation proceeds normally?

You have to fix the MBR now!

Step one: Turn your computer on, booting from either your Windows 7 Installation DVD or Windows 7 System  Recovery Disc. Remember, you may need to change the boot order inside your BIOS to have the your DVD drive boot first.

Step two: After the installation or recovery disc loads, if prompted, select your language settings and then continue. If you are using the installation DVD, when prompted by the following screen, select "Repair your computer."

Step three:
The computer will take a moment now to scan itself for any Windows installations, after which you will likely be given a choice to select which installation you wish to repair. Select the appropriate Windows installation from the list and then continue. If by chance a problem is detected in one of your Windows installations at this initial stage, the system may also ask you if it can try to repair the problem automatically. Just select "No" here.

Step four:

Once you have reached the System Recovery Options, click "Command Prompt" to continue.

Step five:

Now sitting at the command prompt, enter the following commands (one at a time by pressing enter) and wait for the each response. BTW, ignore the responses:

bootrec.exe /FixMbr (enter)

bootrec.exe /FixBoot (enter)

bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd (enter)

Good News! Your MBR has been repaired and is ready for your new OEM installation. So "x out" of the open dos window and the System Recovery view and your system should restart. Now go through your OEM installation again, delete all existing partitions and select "format." Now, this time you should end up with 2 partitions that are properly configured to process your Windows 7 OEM installation.

Good luck! 

Paper Tape
narno06

[ Edited ]

Pagroundhog,

thank you very much, your detailed description definitely got me on my way!! however it did not work right away for me, so for the sake of other people stubbling on this post with the same problem I'll explain what I had to do :0)

I'll take over after step 5

Step six:

after deleting all partitions and creating a new one during your OEM Windows 7 install:

=> if you have 2 new partitions as Pagroundhog mentioned at this point, I guess you're on your way, continue your install.

=> If you still have 3 partitions being generated automatically then you still have the same problem.

At this point, keep the system partition & Delete the 2 other partitions.

You should have a system partition and bunch of unallocated space.

Then create a brand new partition with the remaining unallocated space & format. For me it did the trick, it generated only one partition, so that I ended up with 2 partitions only (the Reserved partition for Lenovo disapeared).

Continue your install.

Step seven:

At this point the computer still behaved the same (not rebooting) for me, so after completing the install (without updates to cut short) I restarted the process from step one which fixed the MBR this time.

Then at step six I got 2 partitions automatically as expected initially.

This will be your last install of Win7.

A non-negligeable side effect was that it fixed the wireless issue you certainly are also experiencing.

As a matter of fact on the very last install, Windows detected the wireless card automatically and was able to use generic drivers to make it work. 

802.11n
pagroundhog

[ Edited ]

Congrats namo06 ... WAHOO!

And thanks for going into such finite detail regarding your own experience!

Now, hopefully others will be able to benefit from this thread as well.

Great job!

802.11n
pagroundhog

Hello original poster, admin, moderator, and gurus.

Could someone please mark this lengthly thread as solved.

Thank you,

pagroundhog