Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
filbert
Accepted Solution

BOOTMGR is missing - rescue & recovery partition

I have a 3000 V200 running Vista that I want to return to factory state. I can boot into Vista OK but can't boot into Resuce & recovery with the maintenance button. I get the dreaded  'BOOTMGR is missing' message. This after installing Windows 7 (which may not have been relevant).

Initially, I couldn't get any response from the R&R partition and had an error when I tried to create recovery disks (I can't remember the actual words).  So I downloaded the latest version of R&R (v 4.2.1)  and used it to create a new CD & DVD and used them to rebuild and all seemed to go well. As I said above, I can boot into Vista but not into R&R.

I found the item below on the Lenovo site here.  However, I  can't do the second (it's too late) and I have tried the first to no avail.

Any suggestions as to what I can try next?

Rgrds

Peter

Symptom

Starting the computer and pressing the ThinkVantage, LenovoCare, or F11 button results in the error message "BOOTMGR is missing, Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart."

In order to avoid upgrade incompatibilities, Rescue and Recovery disables the install modules used in a Factory Restore operating during the Rescue and Recovery upgrade process. If the computer is shipped with Windows Vista installed, and the user upgrades Rescue and Recovery, creates recovery discs for Factory Restore, and then restores from those recovery discs, an error message is displayed stating "BOOTMGR is missing, Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart."
Solution

Performing one of the following will result in a working Rescue and Recovery workspace:

* Install the latest version of Rescue and Recovery.
    * Create recovery discs before upgrading Rescue and Recovery.

CMVC Defect #: 399031

Long time ThinkPad user: 770, 600, T40, X300, now X301 240gb SSD, 8 GB ram (love it! :-)) Windows 7 64 bit.
Serial Port
filbert

Re: BOOTMGR is missing - rescue & recovery partition - solved

Well, I have solved my own problem. I downloaded the R&R package again and reinstalled it. After a reboot, eureka - I can boot into the R&R partition again.

Hope this might help someone else!

Rgrds

Peter
Long time ThinkPad user: 770, 600, T40, X300, now X301 240gb SSD, 8 GB ram (love it! :-)) Windows 7 64 bit.