Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Textbook
Accepted Solution

Best Buy sold me two Lenovo notebooks without left speakers!

I camped out for 12 hours at the Best Buy in Brighton, MI and ended up purchasing two Lenovo g575-438343u notebooks for $180 each.  One of the first things I noticed was that the black seal was broken and there was clear packaging tape over it.  A sticker on the box said "This computer has been tested and set up by Geek Squad".

I booted the first notebook up and one of the first things I did was try to watch an HD YouTube video to test the video performance.  The video played fine, but I noticed no sound coming out of the left side of the laptop.  I spent a while in the Windows sound settings and the SmartAudio program found in the Control Panel.  With no success getting left audio output from the internal speakers, I plugged in a pair of headphones and left and right sound worked correctly.  I then booted up the second notebook and had the same problems.  At this point, I was almost certain it was a hardware issue, but I booted a linux LiveCD just to make sure .. still no left audio output.  

Convinced this was a hardware issue, I started disassembling the laptop.  My suspicions were confirmed when I found there to be no left speaker at all!  The location of where the left speaker should be is empty.  The connection on the laptop has four pins - two for each speaker.

You can view the Lenovo G575 datasheet here:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/ww/pdf/G575_Datasheet_US.pdf

The datasheet lists 2.0 Speakers (2* 1.5W)

I have taken photographs of one of the notebooks that I purchased from Best Buy, showing the missing left speaker.

http://imgur.com/a/IwnV3

I contacted Lenovo technical support about the issue Friday night, before disassembling the notebook.  They said my options were to take it back to the Best Buy I purchased it from and ask for a replacement or repair or I could start the warranty depot process with them (Lenovo).  I declined the warranty process at the time because I wanted to further investigate the cause of the problem.

I will call the Best Buy today and see what they say.

I will update this thread after I get some support from Best Buy or Lenovo.

Punch Card
Textbook

Re: Best Buy sold me two Lenovo notebooks without left speakers!

I made the 45 minute drive back to the Best Buy with both notebooks.  I was helped by a Geek Squad member, but unfortunately he was not able to do much.  After messing around with settings for a few minutes, he was convinced there was only one speaker.  At that point, he started trying to find specs for the notebook.  I told him if he performed a quick google search for "Lenovo G575 datasheet" he would see where it says it has 2.0 Speakers (2* 1.5W).  He said that he needed the specs for the specific model number, not the series.  Unfortunately, the notebook isn't listed anywhere on Lenovo's website.  He looked for about 15 minutes but could not find the specs for the g575-438343u.  I was then offered two options.

1.  I could return both notebooks for a full refund, no restocking fee.  I told him I camped out and waited 12 hours to get a notebook at this price, so I would not be interested in a refund.

2.  He said he could queue up the notebooks for service.  He said they would first try to find the spec sheet for that specific model to determine whether it was supposed to have 1 or 2 speakers.  I'm guessing at that point they would send it back to Lenovo.  I asked for a rough ETA on that process and he said with the holidays, 3-4 weeks would not be uncommon.  I told him if I wanted to go that route with a Lenovo warranty service, I could just do it myself.

So I left the store with my single-speaker notebooks and no resolution at this time.  The geek squad agent took down my name, telephone number, and email address and told me if he found the specs he would send me an email.

He believes Lenovo was trying to cut costs to get the notebook down to that price point and a speaker made the chopping block.  I would have to agree with his theory - I found another person online who had the same issue here:

http://www.helpowl.com/q/Lenovo/G575/Technical-Support/lenovo-g575-mono-sound/114738

I don't believe Best Buy is at fault here, it seems like Lenovo was trying to be as cheap as possible.  I will have to contact Lenovo again and see what they say.

What's DOS?
jcontra

I got the same notebook from Best Buy as part of the Black Friday deals.  You really can't beat $180 for a notebook.

The Geek Squad guy is correct in his guess that the laptop only has one speaker.  Mine has the same-- only one speaker.  It's not a _huge_ deal anyways-- how many laptops have you seen that have good speakers?  They're few and far in between.

Punch Card
Textbook

I have always purchased my notebooks during Black Friday sales.  The past two have been Toshibas, and 4 years ago my first Toshiba notebook was only $198 and it had two speakers.  They didn't do anything to cut costs.  If Lenovo is going to start eliminating components just to reach price points, I will not do business with them.  You can't even find the model number on the Lenovo website, even using Lenovo's ActiveX plugin to identify the product automatically.  The BIOS and driver downloads for the G575 series are old and outdated.  The latest BIOS on the Lenovo site at this time is version 19, from February 2011.  These notebooks came with version 24.  That version should be on Lenovo's website for download.  Lenovo needs to keep their drivers and downloads up to date.  This has been a terrible customer service experience.

Now I know not to purchase Lenovo products ever again.

What's DOS?
collegekid4

[ Edited ]

I also purchased this laptop from Best Buy on Black Friday in Baxter, MN. I also only have one speaker, the right, in my laptop. This is unacceptable. Looking forward to responses from Best Buy and Lenovo. 

Paper Tape
jaguar5690

I also have the same issue.  Please let us know what the outcome is in the end.  I'm thinking I might opt to send mine in for warranty if thats what it takes.

Paper Tape
jaguar5690

How easy was it to disassemble?  Maybe it would be easier and cheaper for us to just find a speaker online and install it ourselves?

Fanfold Paper
MANTI5

Same here, got the laptop on BF from Best Buy with no left speaker audio. Not a complete dealbreaker but highly annoying and shady.

Punch Card
jangjong

**bleep**? I just realized I only have right speaker too.

This is some BS

Paper Tape
jonhimes

[ Edited ]

I havent been home to look at mine but **bleep**. the spec sheet you list is for the the older one that has the 350 processor ours is the 300 if im not mistaken. the socket should be able to do the E-450 processor since they came out with new processors. ours and the 450 came out august 22. thast was from last year or early this year. but i can imagine they just took a **bleep** speaker out for the g575 model. hd my real talk about class action lawsuit. 

I just read the user manual where it show where things are located are.

"   [5] Speakers (Select models only)  The stereo speakers provide rich and powerful sound. "