Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
schubertaw

Can 3000N100 battery cells be replaced?

Like so many others my Lenovo 3000N100 battery is dead after about a year and nine months of life.  I cannot afford a replacement, and my call to support was of little consolation.  I am thinking about trying to disassemble the battery case and proceed with replacing the individual cells.  (Rechargable lithium/ion batteries are not difficult to come by.)  Every hear of anyone trying this before?  Looks like the most challenging issue will be cutting apart the plastic housing.  Please let me know if you have ever heard of anyone successfully attempting this repair. 

I also noted that ThinkPad notebooks have a "discharge" procedure as part of attempted repairs.  Anyone ever heard of such a thing being available for 3000 series?  My battery shows as fully charged, but the laptop will only run on plug power...unplug it and it dies immediately.  What contacts are what on the battery so I can check it with a volt meter?  (I am technically capable of performing such an evaluation...)  Thanks for any info you can share. 

Wayne in Milwaukee 

Thank you. 
Wayne in Milwaukee

Paper Tape
haulin79

Re: Can 3000N100 battery cells be replaced?

I was thinking of doing the same thing myself.

I too was looking for a pin out schematic but I think that since there are only a few pins, you will get an answer faster if you just start probing with your voltmeter.

Punch Card
schubertaw

Thanks for the suggestion.  I was reading other posts regarding this battery situation, and it looks like the problem may be larger than just batteries; sounds like it might be related to a circuit and firmware in a chip of some sort.  Still, I am going to probe out the pins and see if there is any kind of voltage output from the battery, then if that fails, I will proceed to cutting apart the battery case...what have I got to lose?!  I am also thinking of creating a website for dissatisfied Lenovo laptop owners.  I have already picked out a domain name: NOLeNOvo.com.  Clever, huh? 
Wayne in Milwaukee

Punch Card
trnap7am

My laptop could be powered for about 90 minutes on battery a day before the battery started to refuse being recharged. In my opinion the cells themselves are ok. I bet the control circuit in battery pack is dead and I wonder what is the reason of failure.
Paper Tape
nikos

schubertaw as i post to another thread the problem is with the circuit board, believe me.

The pinout is not going to help you because the circuit has cutoff the output.

3x2=6 Cells: SF US18650GR (Sony 3.788V 2200mAh)

If you can find and replace the ic's of the board then go for it. Or you can try first to replace just the q's under sefuse and reset the eprom (TP11,TP13,TP16).

Note: at disassembly remove first the top connector +12V then the +8V then the +4V and last the ground and at assebly do the reverse.

I'm not going to do this because i found a cheaper and more reliable battery with Panasonic cells.

Punch Card
schubertaw

Thanks for the reply.  My battery was working one day and the next it was dead, although I only been running the laptop for 30 minute intervals on the battery so I don't know how bad the charge situation really might have been.   I suspect you are correct, it is in the circuit.  What a sad situation with these Lenovo batteries... like the rest of apparently many customers, I am very unhappy. 
Punch Card
schubertaw

Nikos...thank you for all the good information.  You have saved me much time for research.  Could I ask if you would share the information about the Panasonic replacement battery?  Many would offer appreciation...Efharistó!

Paper Tape
nikos

I spoke with the store and because they have an open battery pack they knew the brand of the cells.

I suggest you do the same and maybe you come across to the right one.

Any battery you buy it will be the same quality as the lenovo battery but it will be cheaper.