Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
happyandy

Can't Remove Software

[ Edited ]
  Hi folks,

I'm new, and hope I'm in the right place. I have a Levono 3000 c100 notebook which is generally great, yet recently I've been bothered by persistent windows installer dialog boxes when I boot up that I can't get rid of whatever I do. They're connected to the Earthlink dial-up service that came already on the desktop. Somehow it's all got screwed up, and when I go into Add/Remove programs and try to delete it, nothing happens... I just press the button and it stays there. Bubkiss.

Is this a registry issue do you think?

Thanks for reading, and all the best,
happyandy

Message Edited by happyandy on 04-08-2008 06:21 AM
Serial Port
zuby

Re: Can't Remove Software

If were you I would try to delete the program or disable it in some way. Go to C:\Program Files or wherever you think the Earthlink software is installed and delete that file. Also, you can open the run command (windows+R), type MSCONFIG, go to the start up tab, and uncheck that program that you think is Earthlink. If the names are unfamiliar, look at the command column and look for Earthlink directories.
Paper Tape
uncheelsrok

I agree, just delete it from your program files.

3000 N100 0768-09U Running Windows XP
andyP
Topics: 182
Kudos: 711
Solutions: 631

I don't like just removing things from program files, it can sometimes cause more problems than you had in the first place. I find it better to use AutoStarts from Sysinternals to stop a program / process from starting.
If you decide to try this utility, please be VERY carefull, just look at the "LOGIN" section and find the program you would like to stop starting and disable it. At your own risk!

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
happyandy

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your suggestions - unfortunately, no luck yet. Removing the Earthlink file from C:/Program files didn't help. In fact, once the install box has appeared at startup it automatically creates a new folder every time, though it's always empty. Next I ran MSCONFIG, and unchecked what I thought was the guilty box, but that didn't do anything either. Finally, I downloaded AutoRuns, but that made me nervous, and anyway, there didn't seem to be anything listed that looked like the culprit.

Essentially, then, I'm still stuck with this Earthlink installer that not only fails to go away at startup, but has no parent program to log on to. Very irritating!

Any more thoughts? Cheers again,
happyandy
Serial Port
rtoland

This is Vista, Right?

Thank you
3000 C200 8922-2AU Laptop
Windows XP Pro
T5500(1.66GHz), 1.5GB RAM, 80GB 5400rpm HD, 15in 1024x768 LCD, Intel 950, CDRW/DVD, Intel 802.11abg wireless, Modem, 10/100 Ethernet, IEEE 1394, 6c Li-Ion batt.
Retired Guru
skripatch

Maybe CCleaner or/and RegCleaner can help. As far as I know - regcleaner can remove items from "add/remove programs" list.
//help will save the world
Paper Tape
happyandy

XP Home edn in fact. I'll try the registry cleaner.

Thanks!
Paper Tape
happyandy

Actually decided against RegCleaner as the link's to a site in Russian. Nothing against Russia, I just don't like downloading things in languages I can't read!

All best,
happyandy
Retired Guru
skripatch

ROFL.
You must wait 10 seconds until download starts. It's a very simple thing, isn't it?
Nothing against non-Russian. All programs are in English by default.

Also you may try any other place to download this program. Or you've been banned on Google? :robotvery-happy:
//help will save the world