Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
starfishtwo

Event Viewer: How many errors and warnings are too many?

While messing around trying to solve my problem in the post immediately below, I went into my Event Viewer and discovered 256 errors and warnings. I've had this computer 5 days. Is that an usually high number for 5 days of usage? Some of the errors are dated 3 months before I got the computer. Does this mean there were errors in the initial installations?

802.11n
pagroundhog

Re: Event Viewer: How many errors and warnings are too many?

Hello,

I would not get myself engrossed in trying to analyze the thousands of logs in the event viewer unless you are having a noticeable problem with you laptop. And yes, some of them could have been recorded before you actually received your unit.

Basically, Windows 7 records errors, warnings and informational logs. Now, some of the errors may require attention; however, many of the warnings should have been coded as informationals, and the informationals can number over a hundred on every reboot. 

So, if you are not experiencing any noticeable problems, I would recommend the following actions:

Clear out all previous logs and start fresh by downloading and running the handy little utility described here:

Windows 7 Clear All Event Logs Utility

Also, here is an example of a useless event log and how I fixed it:

Event ID 62464 - Getting Thousands of Log Entries

Again, I wouldn't drive myself nuts over the number of event logs being recorded unless you are having a specific problem.

Good luck!

Token Ring
orion9727

i wound not worry too much there.

windows loves to throw all sort of messages kinda really too many.

most guys dont bother reading them now because it really got out of hand in win 7.

if it not broke dont fix it......

802.11n
pagroundhog

Hello original poster,

Did you ever get the answer you were looking for and/or get your issue resolved?

Please let us know.

Your feedback is important to the community.