Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
tef89

External HDD slows down CPU

[ Edited ]
I have a new n200 0769 with a T5450 1.66GHz dual 2 core, running from mains power.  When I use my new external hdd to transfer large blocks of data, say 7GB (from laptop to ext hdd) it does so fine (and pretty fast) but in the process it seems to slow my laptop's cpu to 980Mghz each time no matter which power setting I adjust the laptop to.

Is is this normal ?   It's just this is the first time I've used an external hdd enclosure with a laptop. 

Tef

Message Edited by tef89 on 04-15-2008 01:14 PM
Serial Port
tef89

Re: External HDD slows down CPU

I've struggled to find anyhting about this anywhere apart from a mention that DMA can sometimes slow the cpu in dual cores during transfer but this refered to an old pII pentium so I wouldn't have thought that would happen now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Retired Guru
skripatch

Try updating chipset drivers... Never met such case before.
//help will save the world
Serial Port
tef89

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm already on the latest and I've tried re-installing them but it still happens.
Serial Port
tef89

Well I gave it my best shot but this Lenovo n200 is going back for a refund - I bought a 2nd ram 1GB dimm and the unit refuses to boot once it's inserted into the 2nd slot, i tried swopping the dimms and both are fine (both are Lenovo supplied/approved) but still no joy.

It's a real shame cos I really liked my n200 but I can't get over these niggles, especially the not booting when the second ram dimm slot is used.

£400 less for Lenovo I guess.