Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
mkarolia
Accepted Solution

FN key probelms

Hi

I have a 3000 N200 notebook which is used over a network.

Whenever you get to the logon screen, the function key automtically switches on. Meaning that when hitting keys, such as U, I, O, you get the 4, 5, 6 instead.

Ofcourse this can easily be resolved by pressing the fn key to disable it, but as we have a large number of users, it can potentially cause us many problems. Even after you have disabled the fn key, logged in. As soon as you log out, the fn key turns itself back on.

Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
andyP
Topics: 161
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

Re: FN key probelms

Hi mkarolia, welcome to the forum,

it's actually number-locks that are turned on, I would check the BIOS settings to esure that num-lock hasn't been selected there.
Another thing that could be a cause; if an external keyboard is attached with num-lock selected when the notebook is shutdown, it will remember the settings for the next boot, even though the keyboard may no longer be attached.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Punch Card
Phil_L

Hi

If you mean you are using it over a network and remote desktopping into it, the num lock will become set as it is on the PC you use to control it from.  Simply turn off num lock on the machine you remote desktop from to leave it in the same state as found.

Regards

Phil
Paper Tape

I, too, am having problems with a number of my laptops automatically turning on the number locks.  Even after you log in and turn off NumLock (Fn+Del), it will turn back on as soon as you log out.

I have searched the BIOS and even flashed the BIOS to the newest release via System Update but am not seeing ANY option to turn this OFF for good.  Please help as it is very annoying fielding these types of questions and I do not have a good answer to provide.
What's DOS?
mkarolia

Hi

I have resolved this issue now. It was because of our base image. It was a registry key whcih was casuing the issue. This could be the same for you also.

Browse to
HKey-Users\.Default\Control Panel\Keyboard\InitialKeyboardIndicators
Change the value from 2 to 0

Hopefully this should also work for you.

let me know, thanks
Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

Mkarolia,

Great contribution!

Thanks for coming back and sharing your fix :smileyhappy:

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Paper Tape

Brilliant!  Works like a charm.  I have exported the key to a flash drive and hope to fix this issue on the fly with just a double-click!
Blue Screen Again
lenovoo

Hello any1 can help me? i have problem with my fn key.i think it work but i cant see what i am doing when i pressing it.

Community Moderator
yigit

you mean notifications?

un-install power management, restart your computer and install it again.

if it doesn't work, try to re-install latest or previous versions.

due to my absence, i may not reply your posts and/or personal messages

http://www.ki-themes.com
What's DOS?
alfietta

it's not power management: i uninstalled by mistake a program called Fn and now I can't get it back, this was the program displaying the Fn key notifications, can anyone please give a hint on where we can get it from??

thanks.