Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Moderator
yigit

Re: CHECK YOUR LINKS Reply

link removed.
please, take a look at the thread below, it may help.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprohardware/thread/83a076d3-60c6-4b7c-bfbc-74ec278...

due to my absence, i may not reply your posts and/or personal messages

http://www.ki-themes.com
Punch Card
DrRobinson

PLEASE CHECK YOUR LINKS AGAIN Reply

yigit wrote:
link removed.
please, take a look at the thread below, it may help.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprohardware/thread/83a076d3-60c6-4b7c-bfbc-74ec278...

Just like the other repititions of that thread on the MS Forums, the discussion went absolutely nowhere. Did you actually read the thread before pasting the link onto the page?

DrRobinson

Community Moderator
yigit

Re: PLEASE CHECK YOUR LINKS AGAIN Reply

i read your post but i'm not sure what your problem is.i'm just trying to help you.

hope someone else can help you.

due to my absence, i may not reply your posts and/or personal messages

http://www.ki-themes.com
Punch Card
DrRobinson

HOW CAN THIS BE POSSIBLE Reply

So nobody ever fixed this? Has ANYONE got their Authentec scanners to work properly when resuming from standby? Anyone?? D R
topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 352
Solutions: 238

Re: LENOVO Reply

Hi DrRobinson,

Sorry you're having so much trouble with this.

First of all, I'm going to take out these bumpity-bump posts and clean this thread up a little, okay?

Now, I'm going to ask a bunch of dumb sounding questions.  Forgive me if you already did all this.  When you resume from sleep, what is on the screen? Just the user login?  What happens if you press change user?  Does a box show up for fingerprint? 

If just the login screen shows up, have you tried to swipe your finger anyway? 

All my ThinkPads have a UPEK fingerprint reader.  I do have two hp laptops here that have the same AuthenTec AES2501A fingerprint readers.  When I put Windows 7 on them, there were no drivers for 7 on the hp site at all.  I hunted drivers down everywhere and in the end I let Windows install the driver for the fingerprint reader.  Windows put driver version 2.0.0.18, dated 11/24/2009.  I've never had any trouble with logging on with the fingerprint reader normally or from sleep or hibernation.

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Punch Card
DrRobinson

FINALLY THE POSSIBILITY OF REPAIR Reply

Since then in my troubleshooting, I've actually managed to loose the ability to use the reader altogether. Do you know where I can get a driver that just works for it in Windows 7? To answer your other questions, resuming from sleep used to do the same thing as starting up, either showing my user "photo" or a picture of a fingerprint. You could switch between both with a "change user" or "credentials" button. For now, I've got absolutely nothing. I've tried three different software suites and numerous drivers. I'm back to the first (old and buggy looking) software that I used that had actually some success with. A handful of drivers will actually let the computer "learn" fingerprints inside the software, but if they do, logging in is impossible. Which driver and software are you using? Thanks. - 2 Bunny / 2B / DrRobinson
topmahof

Re: FINALLY THE POSSIBILITY OF REPAIR Reply

Hi 2B,

My Hp has the same fingerprint reader as yours.  I got the driver from Windows optional updates.  Windows installed the driver I listed above.  There was no software with it.

What I did was go into Control Panel and clicked on Biometric Devices, Manage your fingerprint data, and enrolled my fingerprints.  Then I clicked Change biometric settings, I checked "Allow users to log on to Windows using their fingerprints" and also Biometrics on.

I then went into Device Manager and opened Biometric Devices, I clicked AuthenTec Inc. AES2501A and in the window that opened I clicked Power Management and unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

The next thing I did was optional, I checked the box, "Allow this device to wake the computer."  Doing this allows me to wake the computer and log on at the same time by swiping my finger.

To do all this, you're going to have to uninstall all the fingerprint drivers and software so that Windows can find it as new hardware and install its own driver.

Dave

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Punch Card
DrRobinson

DRIVER UNINSTALLATION Reply

Great. So how do you uninstall the drivers? - 2B
topmahof

Re: DRIVER UNINSTALLATION Reply

Well, I've never had to uninstall any drivers because I never had them in there to begin with.

These software suites that you've been trying out, are they still all in there?  I suppose I would start in Control Panel, Programs and features and uninstall anything in there that you tried for the reader.  

Then go into device manager and open the fingerprint reader like I said above and uninstall the driver.  

There's probably a driver in a driver folder in C:.  It might be in a folder called Drivers.  Delete it out of there.  Get rid of your fingerprints from control panel.  You want to uninstall everything  that has to do with the fingerprint reader, EXCEPT the fingerprint reader itself.  Then reboot.  See if Windows finds it as new hardware and installs its own driver for it.  Then follow the steps above and see if you can get it working.

If Windows does install its own driver, post back here and tell me what driver it installed.  I'm curious about that.

Dave 

Punch Card
DrRobinson

FURTHER CLARIFICATION DRIVER UNINSTALLATION Reply

I didn't have a "drivers" folder, but there is a folder labeled "drivers" inside of C>Windows>System32, which contains quite a bit of stuff (important, but also unrelated for the most part). Do you think you could just use a driver backup utility and back up the driver you're using? Thanks. - 2 Bunny