Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Believe59

G530 XP Pro to Vista

I got a new Lenovo G530 it ran great for maybe a week. I booted normally and found my taskbar and desktop were unresponsive. Figured out if I brought up task manager everything started working agin. I searched for a fix and tried a few things including call Microsoft that said i had to call you because you bought the lisence and installed it. Sorry to say got nowhere that way and things just got worse. Updaters stopped working and I did restores and a full recovery to no avail. Finally gave up and installed the Vista upgrade sinse those were the only cd's that came with the computer. Well still having the same problem after boot unresponsive taskbar and desktop unless I bring up the task manager.

I'm hoping someone can figure out this problem the only answers I have gotten so far are do a recovery which I have done with the XP which is what i wanted and ordered and with the Vista cd's which I didn't want but felt like I had no choice.

Punch Card
Believe59

Re: G530 XP Pro to Vista

I know I'm not the only one having this problem what I am womdering is why nbody replies to it? I also need to know If I should be installing the bios update I get from the updater it just says Flash BIOS update -  Lenovo 3000 N500 I have the 3000 series but it's a D530.

Punch Card
Believe59

Guess I'm talking to myself here but if it helps anybody else good. I found out what happens when you do the BIOS update I rebooted this morning and had a hardware conflict error from Lenovo so I did a sytem restore and that problem seems to be fixed.

The taskbar/desktop issue is still a mess. For what I payed for this with the XP downgrade which was NOT advertised as such I am still clueless I am assuming no one is all that worried about as there seems to be no fix for it or an answer that helps.

Sorry slightly frustrated and dishearted I was so excited to get a new laptop and have it go south after a week. 

I want to know if I can recover XP with the recovery CD's I created or will I have the same problem that started there in the first place?

Punch Card
keepfaith

i also kinda  have same issue. my system came with xp installed and with no software cd. then I got vista upgrade dvd. now my hard drive crashed and ordered a new hard drive. i dont know whether this upgrade dvd will istall vista or not and also i think i wont be able to downgradeor install xp. you have any idea? also how much lenovo charge for the recovery xp cd?
Punch Card
Believe59

[ Edited ]

Good question. I'm actually waiting till I calm down a bit to call them and find out about the XP cd's as I wanted XP to begin with and was under the impression that that was what I ordered not  a downgrade w/Vista recovery dvd. I know I was reading another thread about the downgrade and the dvds and such some was hopeful and some was discouraging.

I actually wouldn't mind if I had to continue with Vista but it doesn't work and I have the same problem I had with XP and can't seem to get any responces.

I wish you luck with your new hard drive I know the Vista is lisensed the lisense should be on the bottom of the computer.

Mine wasn't even 2 weeks old when I started running into problems.

Thank you for responding 

Message Edited by Believe59 on 06-19-2009 04:59 PM
Punch Card
Believe59

Ok one weird thing I think I may have found is in task manager under processes there are three instances of taskeng.exe two under my name and one under system I checked the properties of both of mine and they are identical and just switches windows the one under system comes up on it's own when I check the properties.
Punch Card
keepfaith

i read somewhere here in forum that they charge for reinstalltion xp cd too.
Punch Card
Believe59

Seems it's easier to charge than fix the problems we shouldn't be having in the first place. I am really upset I didn't get XP cd's with this nowhere did it say it was a downgrade from Vista I actually read somewhere that that was the case.

I am still having my problem and done every scan incuding Lenovos and nothing out of place comes up. 

I did do their survey online and sorry to say at this point I have nothing good to say about the service.

Punch Card
keepfaith

try to downgrade from vista to xp if posiible then make recovery/reinstallation XP CD to reinstall xp again. you also can try to restore your operating system to earlier dates too as it may help you but everything depends whether you can go back to XP or not. otherwise i guess you have to buy reinstallion XP CD from lenovo. they may not charge you because you have just bought it very recently.
Punch Card
Believe59

[ Edited ]

I'm hoping they won't charge. I have already done a bunch of restores and a few recoveries and still end up with the same problem. Wondering if it isn't one of MS many udates and service packs. But it happened with both XP and the vista upgrade.

How's your problem coming along?

I found one of your posts about the ram lol i can even answer that one. Windows XP won't see the extra but the lenovo stuff does when I upgraded to Vista it saw it. Mine can take the 4 gigs I am maxed out now you have to get a 2 gig stick.

Message Edited by Believe59 on 06-20-2009 06:18 PM