Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
vasiliazz

Re: G550 will not boot up after BIOS update

Hello!
I'm using Lenovo G550 20023. I'm dual booting Windows XP x86 and Windows 7 x86. Is it safe to upgrade BIOS under Windows 7? 

Community Moderator
yigit

Paper Tape
vasiliazz

[ Edited ]

I had installed ubuntu 11.04 from Windows 7 with wubi before you write this post. Is it still safe?

Paper Tape
ceez

Re: BIOS failure for Lenovo G550

[ Edited ]

Hi to all and mainly to anyone having to cope with Lenovo's BIOS update utility and ending up with a bricked laptop.

I'm posting because I got BIOS restored and happily my G550 is back to normal (back from the death). Since it's a cruel time to cope with, especially due to the installed software worth much more than the lappy in dollars and specially time, I'll tell my successful procedure just in case it helps anyone. More so, reading how plenty of proposed methods there are in the web about phoenix BIOS recovery which can finally get you on your knees after hours of trying.

My model is 2958 with a SN that won't pull any success in LENOVO's support search tool :-o. There are no doubts about what BIOS version it is, since there's just the 2.53 (Vista - W7 with 32 bit installer or the other one for 64 bit).

I rebooted before bios update as instructions demanded. My BIOS update got stuck in block 14 of 38 and as the others posters, I was doing it from a W7 pro 64 bit OS. As soon as it got stuck I knew LENOVO had bricked it. I even kissed it goodbye when pulling off the battery. Anger was high after all the trouble I got with LENOVO in the past to get my faulty screen repaired and replaced with another with several dead red pixels.

My laptop has NEVER hung or rebooted by itself, so I knew 99% it wasn't my fault, but when reading the forums and viewing many others with the same installer and SO and a bricked G550 it got up to a 100%.

I started to read all the lousy answers from admins in LENOVO forums and couldn’t believe it. So with little hope I started to search. Some had had success so I started to try. Details (for what I read that didn't work for me)

Never found CMOS battery in order to get it reset. So (in my case) no need for that.

Burnt a CD with bios file and wouldn't fix it, alone or with usb stick, even if it seems as it is reading.

Tried Phoenix recovery.rar (the one with HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool.exe and other files). Didn't work.

Tried CRISDISK.zip (the one with wincris.exe version 1.0.0.2, version viewable by putting your cursor over the file or in file properties-version). Didn't work.

Tried CRISDISK.zip (the one with wincris.exe version 1.0.0.4). Didn't work.

Tried Phoenix CRISIS DISK.zip. This one came with PHLASH16 v1.7.0.21 WHICH IS NEEDED FOR LATEST PHOENIX BIOS. Also with wincris.exe version 1.0.0.4.

Followed instructions in the zip. I was trying everything, so first tried compressed (makes sense for usb floppy) and didn't work. Then tried without compression and      I T     W O R K E D. I got it from here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/lnq1oi

Usb port used: the one in the right. Battery was not plugged.

Procedure and laptop behavior:

Cut or unplug mains, push Fn and b keys, then power on mains and push power on button (keeping Fn and b pressed until it fist beeps). It will read usb then it would beep once; stop a few seconds, the start beeping first with a sequence of much over 5 beeps (which is indicated as error message somewhere). Then it would stop and make short sequences until it rebooted and came back to life. Took about 5 minutes.

Take into account that it acted much as with the other methods: sometimes (depending on which of the 8 usb sticks I was trying) it started with this beeping, but would never reboot nor fix anything. That may signal the usb is being read, but probably BIOS wasn't being properly flashed. Just a guess about how to know which sticks work. By the way:

The usb used was a crappy cheap 2 gig one. Formatted in FAT then passed through the tool. YOU NEED TO PLACE THE RIGHT BIOS IN THE  Phoenix CRISIS DISK FOLDER. It will stick it in the usb, thought I'm not 100% sure if I afterwards copied again the BIOS file.

Being suspicious of the bios included in the 64 bit killer BIOS updater, I USED THE ONE INCLUDED IN THE 32 BIT APP.

I think nothing is left. It was: I prepared usb stick in a windows xp machine.

Well, LENOVO, thanks for putting up this forum so your own (in my case just once) customers can try to solve the problems your own incompetence generate.

AND NO IT IS NOT SAFE TO UPDATE BIOS (the file is still there waiting for geeky BIOS updaters....), so unless it is broken DON'T DO IT!.

Good luck.

What's DOS?
prathamesh226

Bad BIOS Recovery - G550(2958)

I tried updating my BIOS after installation of windows 7 operating system. However, the BIOS update process stopped responding and now I am facing the problem of bad BIOS. After plugging AC power and power on, the screen is blank. I have searched on internet about the problem and I came to know that CRISIS disk can recover BIOS using 'wincris' tool. I tried to use this utility but I don't exactly know how to use it and it's not working for me. I would like to know about the solution to my problem. Is there any official guide for BIOS recovery?

HE
Paper Tape
HE

Re: Bad BIOS Recovery - G550(2958)

I haveexactly the same problem. I tried to update bios (Lenovo G550) - and now the computer wont start.

Black screen - and no responce at all ...

How do I reset the BIOS - the computer dont have any warranty left - so i want to be able to do the reset myselves.

I have tried to move the battery and pressing start (to "unload" the machine) - but with no succes.

I cant find the cmos battery - to try to reset the bios if i removed it for some minutes.

1.How can I reset the BIOS ?

2. Where is the cmos battery ?

Paper Tape
ceez

Re: Bad BIOS Recovery - G550(2958)

[ Edited ]

This post has been edited by Mod erasing my mention of a previous post from me with detailed instructions about how to solve this problem ¿¿???. Is this post visible to you?

It's long but it's how I solved your exactly same issue. Even linked the file that worked for me.

Regards 

HE
Paper Tape
HE

Re: G550 Bios Update Fail

[ Edited ]

yigit wrote: 

there're ways to recovery bios but when you have valid warranty, it'd be easy to ship it back to service.

Thats great :smileyhappy:

- but it seems that many people (like myselves) dont have warranty left on the broken down computers - so im looking forward to a solution, which i hope that you would "release" for us here.

It cant be true, that we have a computer, with secrets, so we cant repair them ourselves, when the warranty runs out.

regards

/eskerod 

moderator edit: fixed quoted text. 

Community Moderator
yigit

[ Edited ]

as i said before, there are few threads may help the users to recovery the bios, it could be helpful who doesn't have valid warranty.

http://www.ki-themes.com
Paper Tape
ceez

I seems my post was too long...

1-PREPARE HARDWARE:

-Get some usb disks.

-Detach laptop battery and cut power from mains.

-Get a XP working PC.

2- GET FILES NEEDED:

Dowload 32 bit BIOS installer from LENOVO.

Download and install 7zip. Then right click the LENOVO 32 bit BIOS package and with 7zip context menu extract the bios file

Download this file:   http://www.sendspace.com/file/lnq1oi, containing Phoenix Crisis Disk Recovery with PHLASH16 v1.7.0.21.

3-PREPARE USB DISK:

Extract Phoenix Crisis Disk Recovery package somewhere in your XP machine.

Copy the bios file you extracted before into the folder where you extracted Phoenix Crisis Disk Recovery package in your xp machine.

Format USB Disk in FAT file system.

Execute in your XP machine crisdisk and select your USB disk drive letter, follow instructions given in screnn.

4-RESURRECT YOUR LAPTOP:

Plug USB disk into right USB port of your laptop.

Press and keep pressed Fn and b at the same time.

Plug mains and then press the power up botton of your laptop.

As soon as it starts beeping you can release Fn and b.

NOTE 1: Not all USB disks seem to work so you may have to try several.

NOTE 2: You may need to copy BIOS file into USB disk again after stage 3.

NOTE 3: For further details read previous post.

Regards