Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
pishingeR

Re: G550 fan problem

Of course there is some IC controlling the fan, but I think it should be controllable by software (BIOS).

The fact that Lenovo is silent can mean something like "We can't do anything with the problem. If we tell them, they will change their machines for something from another vendor. If we don't, they will wait for BIOS update. There will be no BIOS update."

At least they doesn't delete messages about the problem in this thread :-P

Punch Card
Tmitmi

So I just tried some gaming and there are indeed more steps than just off/on on the fan.

So what I'm wondering now is if there actually is any "problem" here or if we are just victims of having a crappy cheap noisy fan that sounds like a jet plane even on the lowest setting.

JHP
Punch Card
JHP

Tmitmi wrote:

So I just tried some gaming and there are indeed more steps than just off/on on the fan.

So what I'm wondering now is if there actually is any "problem" here or if we are just victims of having a crappy cheap noisy fan that sounds like a jet plane even on the lowest setting.

Are you saying that the fan can make even more noise than that?  It might as well be powered by a steam engine.

Fanfold Paper
pishingeR

The fan is small, so it takes a lot of RPM to move some air. That's why it makes noise. It isn't crappy, it is just badly used on high revs. If it would be crappy, it would make noise all the time, not just sometimes, as it actually does.

I think it's a shame that even **bleep**ty notebooks made by MSI or HP (pavillion) has more intelligent fan speed control.

What's DOS?
revanx

According to information from local Lenovo dealer in Slovakia, who has contacted official service center, there should be new G550 BIOS out soon, that should fix this issue.

Punch Card
Tmitmi

I also called the Swedish lenovo support and the guy there also said he believed either there allready was a solution or that it was soon comming. Let's hope it will be out soon.

Paper Tape
metal

Seeing is believing.

Fanfold Paper
yuvalgol

mean while my lenovo in the lab - i want them to fix it after a week the fan is driving me crazy

Blue Screen Again
mdfmdf7

There is only so much a bios update can do

I installed a large Desktop heatsink and the copper was boiling after 20 minutes - mainly because the Nvidia chip generates insane amounts of heat.

Smarter fan management would be good but these products are faulty and need to be recalled altogether.

The Nvidia gpu can hit 100c on idle without the fan - Somehow the junky lenovo motherboard keeps feeding it power and getting it to boiling point when it is not even being used.  The bios update need to address that along with the ridiculous fan management.

Punch Card
Ascold

Hello guys!

I'm with all of you :smileysad: Bought G550 2 days ago, with 2x1Gb DDR3 and GeForce 210M. Have the same problem... Going to replace with the G550 too. Was in the shop today, was hearing showcase G550 - it's SILENT! And it seems that cooler works there but with much lower speed - I can't hear it, just feel light air flow from the hole.

So I'm going to change my current notebokk with the same but new G550 - I will check it in the shop for noise. As I understand, noiseless G550, even with GeForce 210M is reality! I hope I will get one on Monday (at least will take showcase version).

Of course, I'm very disappointed and angry for Lenovo but this notebook is so nice... I don't want another, plus there is no vast choice in the shop where I bought it :smileyhappy: