Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
usagi

Re: G550 fan problem

Hi everyone
yesterday I bought a Lenovo G550 2958 (Intel celeron 900 @ 2.20 GHz, Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit, 2GB Ram, 160GB HD), after

some minutes I noticed the fan noise. I started to search on the net for a solution and I found out this very long post (over 50 pages). I updated the BIOS to the V.2.53 (http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/us/en/DriversDownloads/drivers_show_2884.html) but I don't notice any difference. All of you have been complaning about this issue since last September and I think that Lenovo hasn't solved it yet in the right way. Personally I prefer a fan working constantly at a low speed, you know it would be very silent, so I'd like to have some advice: is it better to return the laptop to the shop and looking for another one or if I wanted to keep my Lenovo, what could I ask for ?
Thanks a lot.

Serial Port
Crommy

the fan problem is not a (problem), its cooling the cpu not running without sense , so i suggest try your laptop out play with it and if you find any problems return it back :smileyhappy:

Fanfold Paper
usagi

I noticed that there's a kind of film covering the fan for about 75% at the back of the laptop, has anyone tried to remove it ? or why is it there ? To direct the airflow at the heatsink maybe ? Anyway quite strange I've never seen this configuration.

Serial Port
Crommy

a Transparent white paper behind the fan, Right?, yup i see one.

Fanfold Paper
usagi

In my case it's in front of the fan not behind, and not transparent white but completely dark !!!

Serial Port
Crommy

Take a picture and show us?

Fanfold Paper
usagi

I took some pictures of that, but my camera is really bad !!!

Anyway if you filp over your laptop, on the right corner you can see a small grid, under which there's the fan but between the fan and the grid there's that kind of membrane, so that you can't see the fan completely but only a 25%. I hope it's clear !

Punch Card
thecrow973

Has someone tried to remove it?

Ctrl-Alt-Del
slaattnes

Dear Sirs,

I installed and updated bios but the prosess was faulty even though WinPhlash said it was a success after backing up the old bios.

Now the computer only boots a black screen with the fan running on minimum velocity and with the led lights on.

I am wondering if it is possible to do a bios recovery?

Here is a link to the bios recovery thread on mydigitallife with background information: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/2105-BIOS-Recovery-procedures

I have successfully entered bios recovery mode on the laptop by pressing Fn+B but I can not get it to load the bios.wph I have prepared on a usb disk with Phoenix Wincrisis v.1.0.0.4. This version from 2008 can also make usb disks bootable and puts bootsector, minidos.sys, phlash16.exe and bios.wph on the drive.

It would be nice to get some feedback from technicians from Lenovo as I have seen that there are a lot of people which have experienced a bad bios update from Lenovos own installer (wherever the fault lies is not that important I would like to say - it must be more important to give a good service than to point out how often a bios update go wrong).

I am happy to get any feedback on any way to do a bios recovery other than to replace the whole motherboard. I guess there must be a way to do it "blind" as the Phoenix bios already have a recovery mode built in. Maybe the CMOS needs to be cleared by either removing the bios battery or by a pin "short circut" first? Is the bios rom soldered on the motherboard so that a "hot bios update" or replacing the bios chip is impossible?

Any help and pointers are very welcome as I am very happy with the overall design of Lenovos G550 and I do not want to buy a cheaper laptop which becomes the case if I have to pay for a new motherboard. When talking to the Norwegian Lenovo support they said it would cost the same as a new Lenovo G550 laptop. I hope you can find time to answer my questions.

Best regards Daniel Slåttnes

Paper Tape
justAlex

Hi)

I read your information and I found it very useful to myself.I'll ask you to send ASPI script for Lenova G550 to my mail:alexanderusa@mail.ru.I very need this script.Beforehand I thank you!