Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
RevObsession
Accepted Solution

G550 laptop typing in numbers instead of letters

Hello all! 

This is my first post to the forums... I wanted to just call tech support but they didn't seem to want to talk to me unless I tried every other imaginable way to fix my problem (even though I'm going off to college in a few days and need this fixed now).   But anyway!

So I've noticed that when I play any flash games, if I have to type on my keyboard, the letters all type numbers.  Aka, when it asks me to type in my name for the high score, instead of Sarah I'll get something like 35294.  Sometimes this will also happen when I'm typing on AIM... but when I delete all the numbers and try again magically it works.  This does NOT happen when I'm playing flash games and I cannot seem to avoid the problem. 

Also, each letter doesn't seem to represent one number.  If I type aaaaaa, I'll get something like 456789 (the number increases with every hit).  It is a real issue because some games I can't even play because you have to hit the B button to attack, but it doesn't register that I'm hitting B. 

Also, I can't log on unless I have just turned the computer on.  Meaning, say I leave it and the laptop goes into sleep mode, if I wake it up and try to type in my password, it refuses to register that I'm typing in the correct password and I have to  use Veriface loggin to get on my comptuer.  This is very troublesome because Veriface doesn't work the best, so sometimes I just have to restart the computer and try logging in again.

This is a really serious issue and I need help!

IPnaSh
Kudos: 366
Solutions: 125

Re: G550 laptop typing in numbers instead of letters

Start your Windows in secure mode and try the keyboard.

IPnaSh
First Spanish Community Guru - Colaborador ad honorem

Lenovo
What's DOS?
mwolff

I'm having the exact same problem with my lenovo Z560 that OP is having. Please help as first reply wasn't helpful. Thank you
IPnaSh
Kudos: 366
Solutions: 125

Call customer service.

IPnaSh
First Spanish Community Guru - Colaborador ad honorem

Lenovo
Blue Screen Again
RevObsession

So I ended up calling customer service (and they were very nice and helpful, yeay).  The man had me use system restore.  I backed up all my files (just in case) and did just that.  Now my keyboard seems to be working properly!  I tested it out on some flash games and it didn't type in numbers.  I also seem to be able to log on to my laptop again after closing it. 

So for now, all seems well, although I'm afraid it could happen again.

Blue Screen Again
RevObsession

I suggest you try what I did.  Go to control panel -> recovery -> open system restore...

Make sure to follow all the directs, plus it was reccomended to me to back up my computer and all the files first just in case something went wrong.  Although when you read the window about it, it shouldn't affect documents and such.

Anyway good luck!  If that doesn't work, the man at customer service also suggested setting the computer back to its factory settings.  This will erase EVERYTHING on your computer and basically wipe it clean as if you'd just bought it.  If even that doesn't fix it, you're going to have to call customer service yourself, as it could be a problem with your keyboard hardware and not the computer.

Although hopefully the restore thing will work, because that was really easy and painless.  Best of luck!

Blue Screen Again
RevObsession

Nevermind, the solution was temporary.  After shutting down and starting back up again, I find myself with all the same old problems again  :smileysad:

I plan on calling tech support back up again possibly tomorrow, if anyone else is having this problem, stay tuned and I'll post something if I find a solution.

What's DOS?
mwolff

thanks for the posts Rev. I appear to have the exact same problem as you.

please keep us posted with solution to the problem!

Paper Tape
utrob09

I am also having the same issue. I have a IdeaPad Z560 and it randomly doesn't allow me to type any letters. No matter what button I push, it shows up as numbers in sequential order (i.e. 234567890123...). I've never seen this before on other laptops and it randomly happens during the log in sometimes where I can't log in because of this issue.

I personally don't believe a system restore is going to solve the issue and I don't feel like calling customer service to go through all of this. I hope they just end up having a system recall or system update that fixes this problem. It's getting pretty annoying.

Any help would be great!

Paper Tape
kirankumargoli

Even i am having the same issue with my G550 laptop. Due to this i had to disable system lock password as most of the times it wouldn't let me in saying password is not correct.

One day i saw the numbers getting typed instead of letters and then i realized what the actual problem is. This is happening since a month or two now. Randomly while using some application, the problem starts and after some struggle it corrects itself. 

It is really annoying and painful experience. I don't feel comfortable with the solutions provided here, but probably i will try contacting customer support once.