Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
mysticbits

Re: G550 laptop typing in numbers instead of letters

OK - I downloaded firefox and immediately upon running it the first time it exhibited the sequence of numbers when typing letters problem when typing in the URL address field.  I restarted using firefox -safe-mode (not Windows safe mode) with the same problem.  The Internet Explorer window was still OK; typing letters produced letters.  I suspect rebooting will clear things up, but this issue may still recur.  I'm going to keep tinkering to see if I can figure out what can "fix" the firefox URL field so that letters produce letters (perhaps the same thing that cause the IE URL field to start working).

Punch Card
mysticbits

I noted this problem didn't exist if I started my computer in safe mode.  Both Internet Explorer and Firefox URL address fields worked fine.  But if I started my computer in normal mode, typing letters in the URL field for either browser would result in a counting sequence of numeric digits.  So, I began removing startup programs one by one (by unchecking via Control Panel/System and Security/Administrative Tools/System Configuration Startup tab).  When I unchecked the following (and rebooted), the problem went away:

Startup Item:  GID Desktop Application

Manufacturer:  StrikeForce Technologies Inc.

Command:C:\Program Files\SFT\GuardedID\gidd.exe /s

Punch Card
mysticbits

Further info in http://www.guardedid.com/support_faq.aspx confirms this as the program that is intercepting the keystrokes and converting them to numbers in sequence.

What's DOS?
Just_Glori

I recently started having this problem with my laptop and Mysticbits solution worked. Thanks!
What's DOS?
arsenal1701

thank you so much. i've been so frustrated lately and you saved my life. CANT THANK ENOUGH MAN. YOU'RE A GREAT LIFE SAVER. i just signed up to say my thank you.

What's DOS?
phixxius

Wow! this really solved my problem.

Cheers
What's DOS?
lenovoquestion9

I have this same problem, it's not Num Lock, when i type "a" over and over i get 01234456.... etc  First time this happened was in my first law school exam....I am so annoyed with Lenovo!  at the moment it only happens sporadically and only stops when i restart the computer (which i cannot do in an exam)

Which post is the one that's solving the problem?

Thanks!

What's DOS?
lenovoquestion9

Oh and i don't use "guarded ID" but i did just uninstall another ID program...
What's DOS?
geistres

I am able to immediatelystop the keyboard from typing all numbers by stopping the 'mcagent' process. It stops the problem right away. Hopesoemone takes note and fixes this!

Lenovo Staff
Ken

If you are having this issue uninstall Guarded ID based on the FAQ link mentioned above from Guarded ID's web site.