Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
HDMI
tresho

Re: G550 power connector - is this a weak point?

[ Edited ]

if the power jack is connected by a pigtail cable, yet the power connector on the laptop wiggles noticeably, is that an issue in itself?

It depends.   The power jack has to be secured to the case somehow, otherwise inserting the power plug would be like pushing on a string.   The edges of the jack would fit into notches inside the laptop case, or the jack could even be screwed in from the inside.

If the jack itself has parts that wiggle, these will lead to failure of the jack after the user pulls and reconnects the external power supply enough times.    The metal and solder joints of the power jack are not very substantial (for the most part).  Thick metal that is both crimped and soldered is the most reliable way to assemble a power jack, see the following illustration:

Link to picture

These are mated & for supplying power to things like amateur radio gear.   Each is about 2 cm wide, the internal pins are crimped and soldered to the wires, then they are inserted into the jack or plug from the wire side, the pins have prongs which hold themselves in place, although there are special tools that allow the smaller pins to be removed.    They are polarized, and can only be connected one way.   The small internal pins actually wiggle a bit when they are used, but this does not lead to failures.  You can buy the raw materials at places like Radio Shack for creating your own.    If I were to service a defective pigtail on an out-of-warranty laptop, I would substitute plugs like these for maximum reliability and serviceability.

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

Paper Tape
jimmych

i got the same problem that the power jack is pretty loose...

i wonder if the warranty would cover this issue?!

What's DOS?
hannahmelia

My G550 has a wiggly power cord and is not charging. I'm now at 10% and it is beeping at me even though it is plugged in and I have tried wiggling all the power cord to check for a loose connection.

What do I do?

Please help. I really like this laptop and have only had it since christmas.

Hannah

What's DOS?
nicky11092

I'm having the exact same problem.  Today my cord gave out and all the wiggling in the world isn't giving it a charge.  Right now I don't have the money to out right replace it but I was wondering if or warranty covered getting the cord fixed.  I'm a college student and it's crucial that I get this problem resolved as soon as possible.

I've only had it since Christmas as well.  :smileysad:

Bryana

What's DOS?
rbosson

Hi, reviving a dead thread here, having the exact same problem as the previous two posters. Funny thing is, I bought a Lenovo based on how good the build quality is! To be honest I noticed straight away the jack seemed loose, I should have sent the bloody thing back there and then. Is the only way to fix this with a replacement part? Or are there any quick fix solutions?

What's DOS?
mrkchmbrs

Just like to add that I've had my G550 nearly 2 years now and, despite having that wiggle since more or less day 1, it has continued to wiggle, hasn't got worse and is still in use today as my main computer

I know that doesn't help those whose machines are now broken

HDMI
tresho

I still don't know how the G550 power jack is designed.  If it's on a pigtail, and if the end of the pigtail is not firmly secured to the laptop case, the receptacle may wiggle to the point of not being able to connect securely to the power supply.    Repair would involve making the receptacle secure to the case somehow, epoxy putty might work as a quick & cheap fix, but you would have to disassemble the laptop a fair amount to get to that point.

If the power receptacle is a pigtail assembly, and if the receptacle itself cannot mate securely to the power jack because its internal parts have loosened, the assembly itself should be replaced.  You might be able to chop the assembly off and solder a different type of receptacle to the wires, along with installing a different type of plug to the power supply itself.   

If the power receptacle is soldered to the laptop motherboard, it's a lot harder to fix.    See this blog post for a comprehensive review of various methods of repair, including what I call a "brute force repair."

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 366
Solutions: 238

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-POWER-JACK-CABLE-IBM-Lenovo-G550-DC301007200-/250896377110?pt=PCA_UPS&has...

The power jack on a G550 sits in a housing and has a cable on it.  There's a good pic of one at the link.  Epoxy wouldn't be a bad idea as long it's no longer under warranty.  That would probably keep it straight when you plug the connector into it.

Getting to it to do that might be a little fun. My experience with power jacks is you have to dismantle the whole machine to get to it.  That might or might not be the case with yours.  I don't have one here to play with.

Dave 

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
HDMI
tresho

The receptacle on the end of the pigtail pictured in the previous reply doesn't look as substantial as the one on my Lenovo 3000 or Lenovo R500, which are identical, the power supply for one works on the other just fine.   A poorer-quality center pin can break off inside the housing, or the housing can break at the point where the pigtail wire are soldered to the receptacle.   No way epoxy putty can fix either problem.   The putty can secure a sound receptacle to worn or broken-off guides in the laptop case, but my guess is that the receptacle itself has gone bad.    A quick & dirty way to fix a bad receptacle is to cut it off & solder a new receptacle on the end of the pigtail wire.   However, there is probably a lot of disassembly necessary to get to the pigtail assembly.  If you go the "brute force" way, chop a hole in the laptop case around the receptacle, pull it out so that the wires are exposed, and then customize that end of the pigtail.  The results look pretty bad, but work pretty well.   See my previous link for photos.

There is a 'lump' in the wire pigtail about 1" away from the receptacle.   I am guessing that is a ferrite core designed to suppress radiofrequency interference.   Previous pigtails didn't have that.