Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
sri_shyam

G555 not booting up; no beeps; disk not being read

[ Edited ]

My G555 had been working great for little over an yr now, but suddenly gave up y'day. It was working normally in the morning, but is not booting up 30 mins later :smileysad:

Of the four leds in the bottom, the first 3 are glowing fine when I power it on, but the last one (disk indicator) is not glowing at all. No beeps and nothing on the screen.

I've read through the support forums and tried all the suggested workarounds, like cleaning fan, taking out RAM and putting it back, removing battery and AC supply, holding the power button for a while and then trying to boot it with the AC supply. No luck yet.

No luck with One Key Recovery button too. The behavior on using One Key Recovery button is same as that of power button.

It went past the warranty date a month back, so I can't approach the tech support either. Any help will be much appreciated.

Community Moderator
yigit

Re: G555 not booting up; no beeps; disk not being read

hi sri_shyam
it points that your harddisk is dead or about to die.
press f12 to check the boot order. do you see your hdd listed?

i'm not sure but re-formatting the harddisk may solve your issue. by the way, have you made any changes on volumes?
( it will make okr stops )

http://www.ki-themes.com
Paper Tape
sri_shyam

Thanks yigit for the quick reply. Pressing F12 seems to have no action as the screen remains blank. I could hear only the fan running and no other indication, whatsoever.

Is there a quick way to check whether it is indeed the hard disk that has gone bad?

Community Moderator
yigit

you can remove the hdd and test it with another computer ( or with external hdd box if you have )

but i can say if the hdd indicator doesn't blink at all, it's hdd.

please, post back the results.

Paper Tape
sri_shyam

I too initially thought it was HD, but as I'm not able to get into the BIOS at all, I'm suspecting it could be the main board.

I'm not an expert in taking out the HD and testing it on another computer. So have decided to take it to a service center, for whatever it is worth. Thanks for your help!

Considering the fact that I had used my G555 only as a secondary laptop for light browsing, I must say, I'm pretty disappointed with this hardware failure in just over a year timeframe.

Paper Tape
Benapr

Did you figure out what the issue is with your g555? I am having the same problem with mine.
Community Moderator
yigit

@sri_shyam
if you have valid warranty, lenovo should replace the part for free if it's not used based issue.

@benapr
can you try to remove the hdd and use linux lcd to boot-up your computer?

What's DOS?
umairmalik

Hi Sri Shyam,

I am having the same experience with the g555. Did you find a solution?

Thanks,

Retired Guru
Duck3

To anyone having a similar issue,
remove the hard drive and see if you can enter BIOS.

If you can't with HD installed, but CAN with HD removed,
the problem is the HD.
What's DOS?
moomie

I registered just to say my G555 has the same problem.  Fortunately - or unfortunately - my daughter also has a G555.  I was able to swap out the hard disk and the RAM.  I did have a glimmer of hope when the computer booted normally once again, but the next day - same story.  Did the HDD & RAM swaps again.  This time no luck.  It's been 2 days trying to troubleshoot.  I've given up and am looking to purchase a different laptop.