Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Mittho
Accepted Solution

G570 Screws

I am missing two screws, one on each side, in my Lenovo G570 laptop. They are under the laptop, at the back on opposite sides. I am wondering if there is some specific screw that I need to get.

Thanks

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 354
Solutions: 238

Re: G570 Screws

Hi Mittho and welcome to the community,

Yeh, they're specific screws and since there's no Hardware Maintenance Manual for your machine, it would be tough to tell you what size to get.

However, it's not a bad idea to keep some extra screws around in case things like this happen.  If this is an actual pic of the screws, it looks like at least one has a stripped head on it, but there should be enough extras to get you fixed.

Dave 

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
What's DOS?
mamacrig

i am also missing the same screws.  Is this a common problem?  Where do I get the correct screws.  With the screws missing, my laptop does not want to close properly.

What's DOS?
wotageeza

Hi! I have a Lenovo G570 and I think I am out of my warrantee. As I look at my open laptop, the top right underneath screw has gone missing. This is making it very hard to open my laptop without cracking it, plus this is making the laptop come apart and the screen wonky. I think all I need is a screw. Could someone help me find out what screw I need, as all the screws in the laptop are NOT the same and I don't want to trial and error as it can be expensive and damaging to the threads.

Thanks

Dimi

Mittho wrote:

I am missing two screws, one on each side, in my Lenovo G570 laptop. They are under the laptop, at the back on opposite sides. I am wondering if there is some specific screw that I need to get.

Thanks

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 354
Solutions: 238

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

Here's the Hardware Maintenance Manual .  Page 49 shows the screws.  They look to be the #1 screws and there appears to be a bunch of the same size on the bottom of the machine.

You could probably take two out of a not so critical place, (like maybe the right front corners and put them in place of the ones that are missing.

Dave

Edit:  Here's another set of screws for the G570 on Ebay.  Looks like they ship international.

Dave

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Paper Tape
damski23

This is a common issue, you think it is just loose screws falling out, but it is the poor design of the threaded inserts on the underside of the palm rest.  These snap/crumble due to fatigue wear from opening closing the laptop screen.  I tried dismantling my G570 after the palm rest started levering up away from the base on opening the screen.  Bits of broken/crumbled plastic fell out along with the small threaded inserts that these missing/loose screws attach to.  These seemed very undersized to support the screen hinges.

The screen is now very floppy and doesn't hold up at all well at the correct angle for viewing, and I am worried that if I close the lid the palm rest will snap.

From browsing the web, this seems to have happened to a lot of people.  My laptop is only just out of warranty, and I feel that this sort of mechanical failure should not be happening within this timescale.  Therefore, I believe Lenovo should be replacing the faulty parts free of charge, or at least at a much reduced rate, as would be common for known faults in the car industry for example.  Don't know how lucky I will be with this but perhaps if enough people start to make a noise....

What's DOS?
protosaurid

This happened to me, screws were lost and case started separating after only 5 months! PC world tried to say it was my fault and wouldn't get a repair from Lenovo without paying.
They did repair it under warranty, but I am shocked at the poor build quality of this product, and feel that this is just going to happen again further down the line. It's the first and probably last time I will purchase anything with Lenovo on it, and would probably warn anyone I know thinking of buying a Lernovo product.
And yes sadly it is a common problem which should really be addressed by Lenovo, that is if they are a business that cares about retaining its customers.
What's DOS?
lenovosux

good luck...lenovo doesn't care...i actually sent mine into the repair center with the same problem, but the case was cracked in the hinge area in the back left corner...they wanted $185 to fix it..UNDER WARRANTY..said it was outside of the scope of normal wear and tear...
Fanfold Paper
angryone

This is crazy I'm having the same problem.... the screws are not secured properly.... why not just send us slightly bigger screws.. and make the fit tighter.???

What's DOS?
rayla632

Yet another dodgy product.

Don't bother chasing up missing screws. Take it back for warranty if still under warranty (in fact if it's just out as well).

Print out all the threads in this forum if you need to prove it's a dodgy product.

The threads the screws screw into are moulded into the plastic of the chassis. They will be broken unless you are lucky enough that it has not happened yet (it will happen).. If they are just loose you can try some "locktight" on the thread of the screws. First see if the screws do stop turning when you tighten them (do not overtighten, we are dealing with frail plastic here). If they keep spinning you have broken plastics. You need to have it repaired.

How I repaired it. (Out of warranty)

I carefully repaired the threads but saving all the broken bits and like a jifgsaw puzzle glue them into place again using araldite. Not a quick job. You need to do it carefully and patiently. It took me 2 hours of careful glueing not counting the time to dismantle and reassemble the laptop.  3 or 4 hours all up I guess.

Alternatively you can buy some replacement parts (top cover - ie: the plastic frame the keyboard sits in)

Lenovo should warrant this outside of warranty. I might try request a free plastic cover needed to fix this. If i get lucky then I might buy another Lenovo in my remaining lifetime otherwise goodbye Lenovo.

Final words : Whatever you do, "FIX IT" It will eventually damage cables and possibly buckle your LCD and then it's worth jack.

Good luck.