Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
nsutherland
Accepted Solution

G575 upgrade options

I bought my son a G575 for Christmas, thinking that even the most modest laptop would suffice for the simple online games he plays, but apparently not so.  It has the AMD C-50 processor and is painfully slow.  I have tried optimising the graphics for game playing but it still struggles.

So I'm wondering what I can do to upgrade.   I was hoping to be able to overclock the processor (it's used mainly on mains power) but I've found no evidence that this can be done.   Is it worth, I wonder, upgrading the RAM from 4Gb to 8Gb?  Finally, is it possible to upgrade the processor to an E-450?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 411
Kudos: 1,326
Solutions: 285

Re: G575 upgrade options

nsutherland,

If you are running Win 7 32 bit, then upgrading the memory to 8GB won't help, if you are running 64 bit it would be recognized.  Unless you have a lot of applications loaded, I'm not sure going to 8GB buys you that much, but others may have contrary opinons.  Certainly going from 1 to 2 or 2 to 4 would have more telling results.

Upgrading the HDD could help - fitting a 7200 model or even an SSD could boost performance.

But, before you throw money into the hardware, perhaps you can speed things up by doing a bit of housecleaning.  How many applications & processes are loaded up?  Anything loading up at boot that you really don't need?

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Paper Tape
nsutherland

Thanks for your comments. 

I'm running 64-bit Windows so the extra RAM will be recognised but, as you say, I'm not sure it will make a lot of difference.

The software setup is pretty minimal and I've tidied up the registry, so I don't know that there's much more I can do without a hardware upgrade.

Community Moderator
yigit

[ Edited ]

as I experienced, some amd chipsets are slower than intel and as mark said, installing the ram will make some difference on performance but i believe there will be not much difference.

about upgrading cpu, you can take a look at the document below for supported devices. 

hope this helps.

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/uk/en/UserGuide/Guide_show_1319029486729.html

http://www.ki-themes.com
Paper Tape
nsutherland

Thanks for the link to the maintenance manual.  I haven't been able to read it yet because the file appears to be damaged, but I've reported it and hope it will be fixed soon :smileyhappy:

What's DOS?
monierz

CPU upgrade for Lenovo G575

[ Edited ]

Can i upgrade my CPU for my g575? I got 1,3 Ghz! When i play games i got about 15-18 fps :X

Punch Card
Metroid_III

Re: CPU upgrade for Lenovo G575

No AMD Ontario (C-series) or Zacate (E-series) chipsets are upgradeable. A very modest overclock is possible for some with an unlocked BIOS, but its almost nothing as its done through the clock generator. Maybe 100Mhz at most.
What's DOS?
ooktar

Re: CPU upgrade for Lenovo G575

[ Edited ]

I got a similar issue so I figured I'd post it here.

I got this laptop for mostly work related stuff and some light gaming but the processor is complete garbage making it hard to do either on it. I have already upgraded the memory and have gone through the standard steps (cleaning the registry, removing unused programs, Etc.) and have had no luck in speeding up the CPU (AMD E-350).

The Windows Assessment shows my Ram, Hard drive speed, and graphics all above 5.5, But the processor is stuck at a Measely 3.7 and opening a simple program like Firefox or Media Player Classic immediately shoots my CPU to around 70%. I need to be able to have multiple programs running for my job and as soon as I open any two or more programs, My CPU is maxed out and my computer turns to slop, not to mention the computer also has Windows 7 64 Bit which already takes a lot of memory and CPU.

Is there anyway to speed it up short short of replacing the processor or laptop?

What's DOS?
tomo8013

The link you gave seems to be broken, do you know if I can upgrade the cpu on my g575, as it is so slow! And gaming is almost impossible.
Any help would be appreciated.
What's DOS?
tnouchi

Since nobody has actually answered this question, I'll take a stab at it.

No. The processor is soldered in place. Not in a socket.

How did I come to this conclusion:

I removed the back cover, processor cooling fan and heatsink. Voila! Soldered-in processor.

Have a great day!