Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
BarryH

Hard Drive Upgrade N100

[ Edited ]
Hi

I have a 3000 N100 0768-5AG

I am interested in upgrading the hard drive from the supplied 100GB unit.

Is this a SATA or PATA drive?

Never having upgraded a drive on a notebook before, what would be the best procedure  to 'clone' the drive. I have access to cloning tools like Paragon Partition Manager. Is there a cable than can be used to temporarily connect a second drive or is it better to copy a drive image to CD/DVD?

And finally, what is considered the best make/model of drive? Ideally I'm looking for something around 200GB.

TIA

Barry

Message Edited by BarryH on 03-20-2008 09:51 AM
DJY
Punch Card
DJY

Re: Hard Drive Upgrade

Upgraded my 3000 Y410 to a hitachi sata 200gb/7200 rpm - works great , quiet and fast.
Used Acronis True Image($20)  and a rosewill sata USB enclosure ($10) and cloned the drive. The only snag is that you will need to borrow a copy of Vista as the Lenovo OEM Disc does not have the repair option - you will run the repair option after clonning. Once completed all my files and setting were exactly as before.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
BarryH

Re: Hard Drive Upgrade

OK, that sounds fairly straightforward, my machine is XP Pro. I was surprised you found it necessary to do a repair install though, when I recently cloned the drive on one of my desktops it just worked, but with a bigger drive.

That was using Paragon Partition Manager.

Barry
Ctrl-Alt-Del
BarryH

Re: Hard Drive Upgrade N100

[ Edited ]
After a quick search there seems to be lots of different specs for 2-1/2" drive, SATA, SATA-150, SATA-300, different form factors, 1/2 height, 1/4 height, etc., etc.

Is there a definitive spec available for the hard drive for my machine?

TIA

Barry

Message Edited by BarryH on 03-20-2008 09:51 AM
Ctrl-Alt-Del
BarryH

Just to follow up.

I have decided to go for a Hitachi drive 200GB 7200 rpm with a 16MB buffer.

I have two reasons for doing a swap.

1. I now need more space

2. I 'feel' that there is a problem with the 100GB drive that was originally supplied. This is no more than intuition, but for a long time now I've been plagued with a problem with my machine stalling with a 'not responding' error and I have noticed on more than one occasion that the drive access LED is flashing once every couple of seconds, then all of a sudden there will be frantic disk activity and everything is back to normal. I've been through everything else that I can think of, all of which seems to check out, so I'd come to the conclusion that for some reason or other the hard disk was the issue.

There you are, a technical analysis :smileywink:, but for the price of a new drive I'm willing to give it a go. If it does work I'll let you know.

I was just a bit disappointed that I couldn't find a replacement drive here in the UK other than one of Hitachi manufacture. I would have liked to try a different make to the original.

Regards
Barry
What's DOS?
stock99

I also got the 3000 N100 laptop. I wonder if I can make do with non lenovo disk (like Western Digital 320G 2.5inch)?