Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
rebell

Re: LENOVO G550 not starting

Hei,

My lenovo g550 was working fine i started it this morning it worked fine for 15 mins or soo then suddenly the screen went black and i had to pull out the battery to restart, afther i plugged in the battery and push the start button nothing happend power light tuned on along with battery light but the system never started. tried over and over again, the i noticed that when i push power button, the processor starts and then stops after 5 to 7 seconds, seems like a mother board problem. Any ideas?

Community Moderator
yigit

do you see lenovo logo at start-up?

due to my absence, i may not reply your posts and/or personal messages

http://www.ki-themes.com
Fanfold Paper
jack_g550

[ Edited ]

Hello guys or gals, the problem with your G550 may be the same problem that has afflicted my laptop.

The problem *(theoretically) is with the power jack. A good test would be (if you could get a hold of one) insert a charged G550 battery and put it in your laptop and if it powers up fine, I would say the problem for your G550 could be the power jack; however, the problem could also be the power adapter.

The power adapter on my G550 died six months ago (Lenovo conveniently doesn't cover the power adapter under the one year warranty -- only 90 day warranty for power adapter, keyboard,plastics and hinges). But I have a universal adapter from Ultra that works quite well and for the correct voltage. So consider that your power adapter has gone dead as well.

You may also have noticed that your power adapter connection jiggles very loosely in the power jack connection in the laptop. This seems to be a fault that eventually causes the power jack to fail completely. There may be a fix to replace the power jack in the laptop which I should be able to confirm next week. A new power jack can be had on eBay for ~$10. And there is a way to test if the power jack is the problem without disassembling the machine and almost every screw in it: it requires removing just the memory cover and locating the power jack connection to the motherboard, then testing a new power jack.

You can see the other thread I've involved myself with on this matter here:  http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-3000-and-Value-line/Lenovo-G550-Power-Jack-Broken/m-p/570021

Not sure if the many folks who have noted here that their G550s won't power up have subscribed here or already burned their machines in effigy, but I hope I can offer some hope. And sometime soon, possibly a true solution. And maybe some day, involvement from Lenovo to assist customers in this fatal problem. And at one point in the distant future, maybe there will never be such flaws in hardware that cause all this grief. But that's a lot of hope and probably far beyond our lifetimes. let's just hope there is a way to get your laptop and mine powered up again.

What's DOS?
t_kaka22

Hi Guys,

I have been following the forum for quite a while looking for a solution for startup error. I have a Lenovo G550 which had a startup problem, everytime I choose the repair option it kept on freezing and there was no way out. But now I have found a recovery file which you can burn and boot it, and everything is fixed now. There is no need to install a fresh copy of windows, just download this file, burn it to cd or dvd as bootable, and then boot from it. Once you boot from the cd or dvd follow the instructions, it might take some time but it’s worth the wait. 

download the file from here

http://www.filesonic.com/file/2663767801/W7.Recovery.rar

Paper Tape
codyhayes

Re: G550 will not start

I had the exact problem explained below.  
I pulled out the RAM, tried to start computer, no beep. I was sure the main board was fried.
Then, I pulled out the hard drive, tried to power computer on without hard drive and computer booted past original screen (showed lenovo logo etc). then I put the hard drive back in and restarted.... it booted right up!
(in fact when it booted the screen said "resuming"(from hibernation)).
Not sure what the problem was, but this process fixed it~!
-Cody Hayes

snowman58 wrote:

I have a G550 that suddenly refuses to start up. The system had been running on battery and had started to beep because of a low battery. I plugged in the charger and went back to other things.

When I tried to use the laptop again, it would not come out of hibernation – at least I assumed it had gone into hibernation.So  I held the power button and recycled the power.

The power light comes on, the battery chg light comes on, the disk light blinks once and then nothing – no post, no screen, no fan.

I removed the HD and verified it works. I removed the memory, same problem.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Fanfold Paper
harpreet27

Re: G550 will not start

I had the exact same problem (see quote) and my laptop is been sitting in storage for a year now. Have any of you found a solution or should I throw this G550 in the landfill? 

snowman58 wrote:

I have a G550 that suddenly refuses to start up. The system had been running on battery and had started to beep because of a low battery. I plugged in the charger and went back to other things.

When I tried to use the laptop again, it would not come out of hibernation – at least I assumed it had gone into hibernation.So  I held the power button and recycled the power.

The power light comes on, the battery chg light comes on, the disk light blinks once and then nothing – no post, no screen, no fan.

I removed the HD and verified it works. I removed the memory, same problem.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Fanfold Paper
harpreet27

Hi Jack_g550 
Was it the jack problem for you? please follow up to let us know if you have found a solution. 
I doubt my laptop has any power issues because the power light always came on and the fan sort of started to spin, which indicates it it getting enough power. But the screen only blinked and then remained blank while fan stopped spinning. I have disassembled the whole laptop, everything looks kinda of un harmed. may be i should just put it all back together to see if it will come on. 
anyway, keep us posted. 
Thanks
H

jack_g550 wrote:

Hello guys or gals, the problem with your G550 may be the same problem that has afflicted my laptop.

The problem *(theoretically) is with the power jack. A good test would be (if you could get a hold of one) insert a charged G550 battery and put it in your laptop and if it powers up fine, I would say the problem for your G550 could be the power jack; however, the problem could also be the power adapter.

The power adapter on my G550 died six months ago (Lenovo conveniently doesn't cover the power adapter under the one year warranty -- only 90 day warranty for power adapter, keyboard,plastics and hinges). But I have a universal adapter from Ultra that works quite well and for the correct voltage. So consider that your power adapter has gone dead as well.

You may also have noticed that your power adapter connection jiggles very loosely in the power jack connection in the laptop. This seems to be a fault that eventually causes the power jack to fail completely. There may be a fix to replace the power jack in the laptop which I should be able to confirm next week. A new power jack can be had on eBay for ~$10. And there is a way to test if the power jack is the problem without disassembling the machine and almost every screw in it: it requires removing just the memory cover and locating the power jack connection to the motherboard, then testing a new power jack.

You can see the other thread I've involved myself with on this matter here:  http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-3000-and-Value-line/Lenovo-G550-Power-Jack-Broken/m-p/570021

Not sure if the many folks who have noted here that their G550s won't power up have subscribed here or already burned their machines in effigy, but I hope I can offer some hope. And sometime soon, possibly a true solution. And maybe some day, involvement from Lenovo to assist customers in this fatal problem. And at one point in the distant future, maybe there will never be such flaws in hardware that cause all this grief. But that's a lot of hope and probably far beyond our lifetimes. let's just hope there is a way to get your laptop and mine powered up again.

Paper Tape
bruincup

Hey Everyone, New to the forum and I have been reading for two nights now. I have a two year old G550 Laptop that appears to be dead. I have 19 volts from the power jack to where the 2 black and 2 red wires connect to the board. I do not have any lights that work at all. I have tried removing the memory and hard drive (no beeps) I have tried holding down / cycling the power button - nothing.

I have taken everything apart, cleaned and looked at most connections. I don't see any carbon spotting and the bad electrical smell (burnt) is not present. I'm not an expert but I really don't want this laptop to beat me. If anyone can offer some advice, please do. Everything is appreciated.

bruincup

What's DOS?
rayfazey

Hello there folks

my daughtersT43 died - or rather it would not power up - no lights no nothing - bought new battery but still no charge up or power - searched forums and came up with this one...

http://www.masnick.com/2007/09/07/the-secret-thinkpad-powerbutton-code-to-bring-dead-laptops-back-to...

apparently its static build up that prevents pc from powering up...

IT WORKS !! strange but true.... worth a try..

What's DOS?
sophiefear

My G550 starts the fan starta 5sec stops and gets no further than it says on the screen protected by avast! antivirus anyone know what the problem is please

ps sophie x :-)